Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsAgriculture · 1 decade ago

Help needed in tomato farming?

I am doing small scale tomato farming and after selecting the good ones to sell, I find that am left with almost a quarter of a days harvest which is not selling. How can one convert the unsaleable in to cash? Am thinking of tomato paste or any other product but i do not know how to go about it. What are the preservatives, quantities, etc are required?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

If you process foods you will need a licensed kitchen for most things especially canned goods like sauce, paste, juice, salsa, etc..

Many states will let growers dehydrate foods and sell them with no licensed kitchen

check with your state dept of agriculture about rules on such things

If you can find a cannery they will process your tomatoes for you and put your label on the jars for a fee.

It takes about a bushel of tomatoes to make 3 gallons of juice or salsa. A bushel makes about 1.5 gallons of sauce and .5 gallons of paste.

You can always box up your culls and sell them by the case for $10 to $15 to home canners

• 1 decade ago

Tomato paste, sauce, ketchup, and sun-dried tomatoes are all possibilities. If you put preservatives in any of those products, you're going to be competing with industrial giants that can undersell you every time. Far better to start with kitchen recipes and sell a boutique/organic product. Watch your production costs carefully - you may be better off just mulching the ugly fruit.

• 4 years ago

whilst i exploit to artwork on a farm have been we grew clean greens we continuously picked are tomatoes whilst they have been merely placing out to coach (purple) yet you may continuously have some that have been ripe all a thank you to .those that didnt sell or merely wernt advantageous looking sufficient sell to community shoppers we took to a produce wholeseller a think of we've been given aroud 8 money a a million/2 bushel of direction this become 1978 and we had 2 thousand vegetation

• 1 decade ago

well its hard to say as its need too much experience to do that if u want ot make it cash u have to sell it under some brand which need registration so it better to sell it to people which are doin this already or in market.

good luck

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.