Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

Do city restrictions on the number of animals you can own really matter?

Of course I understand the law is in place to prevent people from owning a ridiculous number of animals. I mean that if the law says three dogs and you have four, will they really take one away? Even if they are very cared for and there is enough room?

I was wondering why, because I just learned my own city's restrictions today, and I recently went to a shelter organizations with a friend to help her pick out a cat. She has two dogs and one cat (now two) and the limit is three cats/dogs of any combination. The shelter had asked what other animals she had, ect. She went through the whole process, but they had never mentioned that she owned too many animals. Everything went smoothly and she has the cat now, but if the city found out would they really take them away when they have a great home? And what would happen to them?

It just seems cruel to take them away, especially if they go to a shelter which would add to the population problem, if they are cared for just fine and there is adequate room.

So does anyone know what would happen?

• Emily
    Favorite Answer

your friend can apply for an Animal Fanciers license. An inspector will come to her house to make sure that the animals are properly taken care of, and thats it. its just like getting a dog license, except there is not an inspector.

That is how it is in my town at least, so she should go to wherever she gets her dog licenses and ask for the application. It will take months for them to finally send somebody over, and they just want to see that the animals have food, clean litter boxes, safe yard, etc.

I had to get it done for my combination of 3 dogs 2 cats... The inspector didnt even really seem to know much of what he was talking about, he just granted the license.

She will need to get the license renewed every year, if that is the way your city does it.

The laws are there to prevent folks from keeping a bunch of animals in inhumane conditions & being a real nuisance to their neighbors.

The cities can enforce the law at their discretion.

No one will know how many animals there are in her household unless someone complains so she needs to be considerate of her neighbors in regards to her pets.

I'm WAY over the legal limit but I'm not concerned- all are spayed/ neutered, vetted as needed. My dog is licensed & is not permitted to just stand in the yard & bark for no reason. My cats do not go out, I keep my home reasonably clean & the litterboxes get scooped at least once a day.

Source(s): Retired tech. former humane officer.
  • ?

The law is in place, and it must be followed. The cat would have to be returned to the shelter if anyone found out. If they become aware of having more animals than is allowed, they will usually give a time limit in which to place the animal elsewhere. However with this cat, because a contract is signed stating that if the animal can no longer be cared for by the adopter, it must be returned to the shelter, that would be the requirement. Unfortunately, they will enforce the law so technically, if a home is not found for the animal within the allotted time, they can remove him/her.

Yes they can take one of the animals away but that is very unlikely inless you or your friend are treating the animals unkindly, or if you start getting complaints of to many animals. I don't consider 2 dogs and 1 cat to be to much. Now maybe if it was 4-5 dogs and 3 cats that might throw up some concern that there are to many. Then the problem would come up. Are you able to take care of the many animals. Probably not.

heres a little info from a web site I found. heres more about why they want t stop allowing people to have to many animals.

Legislation is being proposed in most U.S. states that threatens the Constitutional right of Americans to own property and animals are property. The purpose of this petition is to stop special interest groups from writing laws to take away the rights of Americans to own companion animals.

We do agree that animals should be treated humanely and there are laws to protect the welfare of animals. New laws are being proposed to limit animal ownership rights. Many of these laws are based on the assessment by the HSUS that 98% of all dogs and cats are in homes and are not killed in shelters every year. They claim that the 2% of animals that are euthanized indicates that people own too many animals.

Some laws limit how many animals a person may own and authorize animal control officers to seize animals without a warrant. This type of law helps animal shelters by increasing the numbers of animals that are euthanized so that the shelters can receive more state funds. It also reduces the companion animal population by preventing people from owning animals.

Some laws oppose animal breeding under the bizarre assumption that *all* breeders treat their animals badly and that all kennels should be called "puppy mills." The laws that attempt to prevent the illusion of a puppy mill are primarily mandatory spay and neuter laws, called MSN laws. Spaying and neutering causes serious health risks such as increases in torn ligaments, increases in bone cancer, increases in other types of cancer, dementia, poor muscle development, poor brain development, increases in arthritis, and total loss of working drive. In spite of the documented health risks recognized by NIH, organizations write laws to mandate these risky sterilization procedures.

Other laws simply remove the ownership title from animal owners and treat every dog and cat owner as a "guardian" so that animals are property of the state or a designated organizations. There are also many varieties of laws that dictate how a person can own an animal and many of these laws ignore animal welfare.

Laws that take away a person's right to own animals must be stopped.

http://www.noanimalsleft.org/

Source(s): thepettitionsite.com
  • poppy1

Hi Vixen,

I think all states are difference on how many dogs and cats a person can have..In California you can have 5 dogs after 5 you will consider a Kennel and I think you get a find..Our laws on cats are they belong to nobody they come and go has they please..

I don't think you will get into trouble if you have move for all the animals and they are will feed and all shots are up to date.. I have 3 dogs Myself..Nothing wrong with this at all..

Your Friend,

poppy1

Source(s): Little1

yes, the law is the law and they put a number on it for a reason. We had 3 cockapoos and one pit but that thought it was a cockapoo too. Animal control came in and told us the limit was three and we had to get rid of one. We did as the law stated and let go of one.

As long as your friend does not draw attention to the fact that she is an animal or two over the limit, I don't think anything bad is going to happen. I think animal control and the police have bigger things to worry about.

it really depends on how much the city enforces that law. Most do enforce it and will force you to get rid of pets if you are over the limit. Otherwise you are heavily fined until you do reduce your numbers down to the legal limit.

This is America, God Dammit. If a responsible loving pet owner like your friend can't keep a couple cats and a couple dogs, what have we come to? Are we sheep now? Has this become the Soviet Gulag? To hell with them. Keep your cats and your dogs. Fight back.

Who is John Galt

normally the city will enforce it if they recieve complaints from neighbors, so if they are well behaved, taken cared for pets i wouldn't worry too much. but if they receive a complaint they will either force you to get rid of a pet or the next time they come they will take it from you.