melody asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 1 decade ago

How Did Paramedics Work in the 1920's?

Back in the 1920s, if someone died in their home, would they still have had paramedics go to the home to get them?

Or did it work differently back then?

Favorite Answer

If you don't like to read here's the short answer: There were no paramedics until the 1970s, mostly doctor visits or hearsts.

The whole idea of Paramedics came to play in 1966 with a report entitled "Accidental Death and Disability: The Neglected Disease of Modern Society". The report focused on highway fatalities and the lack of medical care to car accident victims. That's why the NHTSA (National Highway Traffic and Safety Administration) develops the protocols and licensing criteria for pre-hospital EMS.

By 1972 the NHTSA had partnered to create six paramedic units in three pilot programs. The 1972-1977 TV series "Emergency" based on a paramedic pilot unit in LA made the program famous and necessary. By 1977, there were paramedic units in every state and at most hospitals and major fire departments. During the 70s paramedics were divided between a privatized industry wanted little oversight and a public industry wanted standardization. Today Paramedics are standardized by the protocols developed by NHTSA during the 70's and standardized education and licensing requirements now mostly done on a national level.

Before the civil war, doctors made housecalls. Large hospitals were rare and physicians tended to treat patients at home. The civil war changed the idea of large hospital effeciveness. As a result physicians were no longer dispersed within the population but centralized. As a result patients needed to find their way to the hospital, and so to counter complaints doctors continued to make house calls by carriage for emergencies. Formal programs were in Cincinatti and at Bellvue in NY.

Cities also got involved now that the sick had to travel, for example in St Louis they had special sick trolley cars in use to prevent contamination. A electric drive ambulance was bought in 1899 for a chicago hospital, and in 1909 James Cunningham produced a line of ambulances. Essentially ambulances were a means by which hospitals could send a doctor to a patients home when he couldn't come in on his own. The hospital had to be called directly and these programs were operated by each hospital...with many not having ambulances or emergency response to the home.

As years progressed hospital ambulances tended to be limited to the needs of the hospital. To fill the void so to speak hearsts provided much of america's emergency vehicle response up until the 1960's. At a traffic accident the police would call for a hearst for the dead and the driver would sometimes take the living to the hospital. Some drivers fought with other hearst drivers for business at the scene. Some drivers reportidly drove slow to the hospital. Most drivers had no training and often there was only the driver so the patient was put in the back of a hearst by the cops. Sometimes everyone realized the patient was alive and sometimes they thought the patient was dead. If the patient survived to the hosptial he was taken by the doctor and the driver would wait to see if the pt was really dead so he could bring the body to the funeral home to make a sale.

The early paramedic systems began in the late 1960's and didn't really catch on until the Los Angeles system was popularized by the TV series "Emergency!" in the middle of the 1970's. Also, there was no resuscitation of the dead, so there was no reason to ask for medical aid when somebody died in the 1920's, or in the 1950's, for that matter.

In the 1950's I became ill and needed emergency surgery. Living in a small town, I was taken to a nearby hospital by my family doctor acting as the medical person and the local funeral director, who doubled as ambulance driver. It made sense for the funeral director to drive the ambulance, because it was his hearse that was used as a substitute for an ambulance. Only large cities had dedicated ambulances, and the attendants in them had very little formal training.

I used to be a serial killer back in the 20's, and let me tell you that both the paramedics and policeman were very slow.

On top of that, the paramedics chopped off more limbs than even I.

I suppose it was for the best though, because they could never really prove it was my sperm.

BTW, I am not really a bad person, because I usually just killed prostitutes and junkies (to steal their cocaine.)

Source(s): experience

paramedics did not come into play until the mid 60's - early 70's

I believe

in our town - the local funeral home ran the ambulance service

which amounted to throw them on the stretcher - give oxygen if they needed it

and fly to the local hospital

basic first aid only

all the best

confident, I "by danger" dialed 911 at present. they did not even difficulty to call back to ensure if i replaced into incredibly unhappy. They mentioned that they had sufficient telephone calls of unhappy females complaining approximately you.

I have no idea about this