Why doesn't my pool's skimmer basket stay down?

I am having some issues with my in-ground swimming pool. The basket that sits above my diverter won't stay suctioned to the top of the diverter. It just keeps floating to the top. There doesn't seem to be any water going in there at all, actually. Occasionally I'll go in there and find leaves inside the hole just floating on the top along with the basket just kind of floating there at an angle. I'm not sure what's going on since I've never encountered this before. The pool vacuum is working fine and the trap that is attached to it clear. Please help.

Favorite Answer

Take it out, you do not need it.the reason why it is floating is because when your equipment is running you have suction from both your skimmer (top of the water ) & your main drain (Bottom of the deep end). With a pool vac, you plug the hoses into your skimmer.That shuts off your skimmer suction.creating a mobile main drain.(Your main drain should be plugged) Now, all the suction comes from only your pool vac. No suction from the top. That is why the basket will not stay down.

I hope this helps!!

well you should look and see what exactly is broken...if its something that needs to be replaced, go down to the pool store....otherwise call a pool service...sorry i wasnt much help :/ personally i would just buy a new basket