Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 decade ago

I need help choosing a book.?

I have to choose one of these books for a reading assignment. If you see any you recognize and know what it's about, please add a small description below. Also, if you could, input your opinion on which ones are a good read. Thanks ahead of time.

By James Fenimore Cooper:

-The Last of the Mohicans

-The Deer Slayer

-The Pathfinder

-The Pioneers

-The Prairie

By Gore Vidal:

-Burr (biography)

-Lincoln

By Melville, Herman:

-Moby Dick

-Billy Budd

-Walden by Henry D. Thoreau

-Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee by Dee Brown

-Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe

-The Red Badge of Courage by Stephen Crane

-Beloved by Toni Morrison

-Cold Mountain by Charles Frazier

-Fools Crow by James Welch

-The Killer Angels by Michael Shaara

-Autobiography of Bejamin Franklin

-The House of Seven Gables by Nathaniel Hawthorne

• Favorite Answer

well, i recognize a few of these

but the only one i have picked up was Red Badge of Courage.

I had to read it for 7th grade.

I just pulled it off my shelf.

the corner of page 109 is bent.

There are 223 pages.

hmm...must have gotten bored.

xp

Source(s): my 2nd personality
  • mannon

I liked Beloved best- is Beloved real or a ghost? Does it matter in the end?Beautifully written, believe able characters, plot is actually very involving even if it sounds a little strange. I'd give it 4 stars out of 4. The ending will have you on the edge of your seat- but not necessarily in the way you might think.

It's the story of a woman, Sethe, who escapes the brutality of a southern farm- whippings, etc.- only to find more torment in the free world.

It moves between past and present, but slowly a picture forms of Sethe's life.

Powerful, winner of the Pulitzer Prize, a "must read" even if you don't read it for school.

BTW, I found it easy to read because of how it was written- not 'heavy sledding' at all.

I have read many of the books on this list. My favorite is The Red Badge of Courage. Here is a summary from wikipedia, as I don't have the energy to type my own, which would likely be more poorly written:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Red_Badge_of_Cour...

I'd suggest you try to put as many of these books on your "to read" list for your lifetime, though. I've never been fond of Thoreau or Hawthorne, but I also highly recommend Moby Dick and Billy Budd.

You will enjoy any of the books on this list!

Moby Dick is not about a shark. It is about a man's obsession and ultimate destruction because of his obsession with a whale. It is an amazing book and is well worth the read. It is the one I would choose for the assignment if I were doing it.

Also, I agree with the previous reply about Beloved. It is an easy read and is interesting.

All of the books listed are good books if you can get through them, but Autobiography, Walden, and any of the Cooper books are wordy and difficult to get through if you aren't prepared for them.

-Cold Mountain by Charles Frazier: for this one well I saw the movie.

It was pretty good. Here is a url on the book. its probably a good book to read.

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Cold-Mountain/Cha...

I have not read this one but always wanted to:)

I always thought it was about witch sisters but im not sure

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/The-House-of-the-...

I've heard that moby dick is a good book. It is popular. Its about a shark I think....

goodluck

if you like history go with Lincoln

otherwise Billy Budd if you want to get off easy - not that long - about true justice vs rules