How long do you carry swine flu before showing symptoms?

Last monday i was exposed to someone who 5days ago just got over swine flu, it has been 8days since i was exposed she was fully recovered but had the odd sniffle, earlier today i have devolped a stuffy nose, and have felt nausea, (i always feel nausea tho lol), i'm just wondering how long you carry swine flu before showing symptoms as i heard you carry it for 3days and then start showing symptoms and have it for 3days, please help i'm pregnant and very worried

Thank You Hoot,Hedi & App :)

Best Answers, i am just worried more for my baby than i am myself, thank you <3

• mannon
    Favorite Answer

Nausea isn't a symptom of "flu".

The flu people are talking about is more properly called influenza.

All influenzas attack the respiratory system, and influenzas come around every year, not just this one.

3 to 7 days would be the normal incubation period, the time before you're exposed and the time you come down with the illness.

High fever and severe joint pains are also symptoms.

I haven't heard the mutated in South America thing, could someone send me a link to a reputable source for that one? (I'm more of a New York Times type person than a National Enquirer type person.)

See your doctor. There is a lab test that can more or less reliably show if you do in fact have swine flu - personally I don't think you do- and that should put your mind at ease or help the doctor care for you.

If you do go to the doctor, avoid people who are coughing, and wear a mask if they have them available. Also wash your hands obsessively- more likely that this could be transmitted by things people have coughed or sneezed on.

Edit: I'd take a pass on the hospital unless you suddenly become sicker than you have ever been in your life. Hospitals are already swamped by people who think they have it- and they would be a good place to catch it if you don't.

Source(s): R.N. degree in microbiology worked in a top immunology lab

90% of people with swine flu recover with no intervention from medicine or a doctor. So in the very unlikely even you did contract the diesase in all probability it will not be any worse then an average cold. I do however understand the worries of an expected mother.

It I were you I would have consult a doctor instead of asking this question evenif I am not pregnant.

We can identify a disease only after it shows the symptoms. We may carry it for a number of days. As you are pregnant, don't wait;consult a doctor immediately.

Haven't you ever heard "A stitch in time saves nine".

1-7 days seems to be the norm.

This thing mutated in South America...so if you got it now..the chances of you getting it again are apperently just as good...unfortunately.

And unfortunately the Mutated strain is stronger and attacks the lungs...so if you start getting chest pains, shortness of breath...go to the Hospital...not your doctor.

Symptoms can show as fast as 4 years or as slow as a week. Keep your mouth closed when you eat and smell your couch at least 3 times a day.

that guy who said it mutated in south america is full of crap.the scientist today said the virus is the same and has not changed at all.people need to get there facts straight idiot

Sounds like enough time passed. You missed getting Hamthrax.

Around three days. You are fine.

• Chrys

if you're that worried see a Dr.

8 days and 3 minutes. Back up everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!