What causes my mom's Chicken Noodle Soup to congeal when placed in the fridge?

My mom says "all broth does that". Does canned chicken broth do that?

Favorite Answer

if she makes it from scratch it's a combination of the gelatin (which comes from the marrow of the bones boiled for the stock) and a little bit of fat from the chicken itself. generally the fat will rise to the surface and form a harder, thin layer at the top which you can literally scrape off when cold. if the whole thing is sort of jelly-like, that's from the marrow and is the sign of a great, homemade soup!

Well, I can't be sure because I'm can't be there to see how she makes it, but it sounds like she might be using too much flour in her noodles maybe (?). It could also be that there is too much fat in the broth. When ever I make homemade chicken soup or stew of any kind I will boil the chicken, then remove the chicken to a platter and cool it and remove the bones and skin; then I will cover the meat and put it in the fridge overnight, because I also put the pot with the broth in the fridge overnight. In the morning I will take the pot with the broth out first and get a big spoon and skim all the fat off of the broth and toss it away. Then I will take the meat out of the fridge and cut it all up and add my veggies and seasonings as I warm the broth and cook it all. I add the noodles or the rice last.

Source(s): Life experience.

mom is right. all homemade soups do that when they have meat with bones in them the gelatin boils out of the bones and that is what causes that to happen, there is nothing wrong with it . and no,canned soups/broth dont congeal but i don't know why.

• angel

Depending on how much fat is in the broth. Fat will rise to the top of the liquid and congeal. You could always remove the congealed fat before heating the soup. Canned soups don't have as much fat in them, so they don't congeal as much on the top of the broth

She's using good stock - probably homemade. The canned stuff has already been diluted with water, so no it doesn't congeal.

Its the gelatin in the chicken bones that gets in the soup

The fat in the broth floats to the surface. When cooking it you can skim off the fat so it doesn't form this as bad, or reheat it and then skim it.

The chicken stock has oil in it. The oil congeals when is is cool.

oil in the soup

Chickens don't like fridges.