When are you supposed to use comma's?

I have a lot of grammar questions this is just one I know I should know all this by now but I don't.So please no rude comments.Can someone please explain to me when you are supposed to use commas.I would really appreciate it.

• Shane
    Favorite Answer

you should always use a comma after you use a fanboys.

For

And

Not

But

Or

Yet

So

Source(s): teacher told me that
  • Sissa.

you should use a comma to separate the elements in a series (three or more things), including the last two. "He hit the ball, dropped the bat, and ran to first base." You may have learned that the comma before the "and" is unnecessary, which is fine if you're in control of things. However, there are situations in which, if you don't use this comma (especially when the list is complex or lengthy), these last two items in the list will try to glom together (like macaroni and cheese). Using a comma between all the items in a series, including the last two, avoids this problem. This last comma—the one between the word "and" and the preceding word—is often called the serial comma or the Oxford comma. In newspaper writing, incidentally, you will seldom find a serial comma, but that is not necessarily a sign that it should be omitted in academic prose.

2.Use a comma + a little conjunction (and, but, for, nor, yet, or, so) to connect two independent clauses, as in "He hit the ball well, but he ran toward third base."

Don't worry, many people have trouble with complex grammar rules.

Commas are primarily used in grammar as a separator.

They are used:

-to separate items in a list, for instance: I bought a shoe, a lamp, a mouse, a pie, and a broom.

-to separate clauses in a sentence, for instance: after I purchased the items, I brought them out to the car.

-to separate a parenthetical statement from the rest of the sentence, for instance: My cousin, the one with the bald spot, spotted a piece of gum on the ground.

-to separate parts of a date, for instance: August 31, 2009.

-between adjectives, for instance: It was the small, sharp knife.

-in specifying geographical names, for instance: New York, New York, USA.

-to separate quotes from the rest of the sentence, for instance: "Good show old man," said the butler.

Or they may simply provide a pause in the sentence for the reader to take a breath.

I hope this was more helpful than confusing.

Source(s): Two years of community college English courses and a GrammarNazi mother.

first of all.... its "commas" not "comma's"

and you use a comma anytime that you would take a pause in your speech

for example, (comma) you would use it if you were addressing someone. Or if you were transitioning into another part of a sentence, (comma) depending on context. If you are listing something, (comma) saying multiple things, (comma) or perhaps wanting to make a break in a sentence. (period)

Commas are used to indicate to the reader when you would ordinarily pause speaking the sentense.

They walked along the road, hand in hand.

He wasn't really angry, of course, just pretending to entertain his son.

Through the window, she watched the pastel sunrise.

You place a comma before all of the following words: "and", "but", "for", "nor", "or", "neither" and "yet," when these words are being used to join two Independent Clauses into One Sentence.

Heh, I won't even try to take credit for this answer, since I'm just gonna give you a link. Check below. I used to always have questions about comma usage and this helps. :D

you use commas when writing out like a list of things, names, places in one sentence, and the last item has 'and' before it:

Last year I traveled to Italy, Spain, Portugal, Morocco, and Egypt.

In a pause during your sentence.

When you pause when you talk to someone.

For example:

Heyy are you going to the mall later?

Instead you say: Heyy, are you going to the mall later?

Source(s): me

When you need a pause in a sentence.