Why do I feel so down?

I'm a 21year old college student. I was out of school for about a year and now I'm back and I'm finishing my degree, which will take about 2 more years. I live at home, my car is broken, and I work part time at a job that I feel can only lead to a dead end.

My pace at school is slow and it gets me down because a lot of my friends are graduating within the next 2 semesters while I have about 5 more to go. I'm in a frat and we do hold events and go out together to parties and what not, though I feel like I fail at planning events and so on due to conflicting work/meeting schedules and what not. My parents don't approve of it and are somewhat protective of me, where it feels like a struggle sometimes to win their approval. I'm pretty shy around women and though I hate to admit it, I get lonely for some female company though I never really have the balls to make an approach, but I'm fine with girls I already know. This makes me feel pretty depressed and when I realize that I missed so many romantic opportunities I get a little more sad. I just start to feel numb about the whole situation.

Because I live at home still and my car doesn't work makes me feel as though my value as a potential partner has decreased, and my lack of independence has frustrated me for a while. I have trouble managing my money, and it seems to dissolve in food and gas for my parents car. I've never been one to take things lying down, but lately I've just been feeling like I've been going around in a big circle, not producing anything. I know that there are more important worries in the world other than my little problems, and just the thought of my stressing over these things brings down my morale. I guess this isn't really a question, more of a rant!

Sounds like you need something to look forward to because you are in a depressive rut. Start an adventure club with some of your frat brothers for a long weekend. Set some rules about money for it. I have found you can go camping and white water rafting for a weekend for under $45... you just have to shop around. That way you have a break from the monotony your life has become. Also, get a bike. It will save you gas money and most college people do that to cut down on expenses. The exercize you get while travelling to and from classes will increase endorphins and help counter the cycle (no pun intended) you are mired in.. Plus girls will dig your legs. :)

You're too hard on yourself. It sounds like you're kind of in a bad place right now, and I think most people in your position would feel exactly the same way. I know it's not for everyone, but have you ever considered therapy? Sometimes when you're in a rut, it doesn't hurt to ask someone to help you out. I have been in situations in the past where it seemed like my life was not in my own control, and I just wasn't making the right decisions for myself. A therapist helped me objectively look at why things were going wrong, and gave me practical advice for solving problems. If you don't have health insurance, you can also go to a school counselor. If you're not comfortable with that, try to reach out to friends who you can trust.

As far as dating goes, it seems like most people can almost smell unhappiness. Unfortunately, If you're not happy with yourself, you won't find yourself in a happy, healthy relationship. I know that from personal experience. Don't be so hard on yourself. If you work at it, things will get better for you.

I know, Yahoo Answers is a fabulous place to vent =) I've been there many, many times. I want you to go to the bookstore, and read a book called "The Secret". After reading a chapter, watch the section in the movie that corresponds with the chapter. Absorb it and you will have your answer. take care*