What kind of schooling (and what would you major in) if you wanted to be a pediatrician?

I'm only a sophomore... but I want to know what I need to do! What should I major in? And how much schooling would I go through?

thanks!

2 Answers

Relevance
  • ebe b
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Start by being an above average student in high school and college.

After graduating from high school, a student that wants to become a Pediatrician must finish:

•four years of college

•four years of medical school

•one year of a Pediatrics internship

•two years of a Pediatrics residency

So that adds up to about 11 years of school and training to become a Pediatrician.

Your first steps are going to involve choosing a major and making sure that you satisfy the minimum premed course requirements of the medical school you want to attend. These includes courses in Biology, Chemistry, Physics, English, and Calculus. Many pre-med students major in Biology.

Medical schools are less concerned with your major than the quality and scope of your work. You must perform well in the required science courses. As long as you take the required science courses (e.g., as electives) and perform well in them, you can choose any major that you find interesting. For example, it's not uncommon for Psychology students or even those with majors in the humanities to take the required science couses as electives in order to apply to medical school.

During your junior year of college, you will:

•take the MCAT or Medical College Admissions Test (April)

•begin completing applications to the Medical Schools that you are interested in attending (May)

•request letters of recommendation from your college professors (May)

•retake the MCAT if you didn't do well (August)

Once you have completed your premed course requirements, taken the MCAT, and sent off all of your applications, you can prepare to begin interviewing at Medical Schools that are interested in you. These interviews generally continue through the fall of your senior year, depending on how many schools you choose to interview with, and are completed by late December.

The interview process is followed by Acceptance Day in February and depending on how many schools you were accepted at, a few months to make a decision on where you want to go.

Once in Medical School, your days of test taking and interviewing are far from over. This time, instead of the MCAT, you will have to take the three step United States Medical Licensing Examination or USMLE. Medical students usually take the USMLE Step 1 exam during their second or third year of medical school and Step 2 in their final year of medical school.

In addition to taking the Step 1 and 2 of the USMLE, you will apply to and interview at any pediatric residency programs that you are interested in during your 3rd and 4th year of medical school.

Step 3 of the USMLE is a two day test that you will take at the end of your internship. Upon passing it, you can usually apply for a state medical license.

To be a board certified Pediatrician, you still have to finish your residency and pass the American Board of Pediatrics (ABP) examination.

• dech
    Lv 4
    5 years ago

Pre-med. or biology primary. And then once you have your BS, you'll be able to must cross to scientific institution for four yrs, then focus on pediatrics for two yrs, adopted via residency for two yrs.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.