Why is california always burning?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

I am starting to wonder myself. I know that the tree huggers have all the access roads blocked to the forests, and won't even allow brush and dead tree removal which makes for an uncontrollable situation once the fire has started, but.......................

Are the fires getting some help from out enemies?

• 1 decade ago

Ya know, the LA Times had an article on that very subject a while ago: http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-wildfires2...

The answer, at least in part, is that cheatgrass has superseded the native chapparal in the burn areas, which were formerly much more resistant to burning than they are now.

Other answers: right now we're in the midst of a 3-year drought, so a lot of areas are bone-dry and only need a spark to be set alight; because of the encroachment of housing developments in areas that used to be just vacant land, it's easier for someone to start a fire either accidentally or on purpose; and budget cuts in recent years have really put an end to a lot of pre-emptive fire control measures like brush clearance, plowing of fire-breaks near developed areas, controlled burns during the winter season, and so forth.

But a lot of the problem has to do with the change in ecology caused by the cheatgrass invasion.

• 1 decade ago

Because California alternates between wet & dry cycles of weather... So when it's WET, it rains ( & often Floods) for MONTHS- allowing huge amounts of grass, brush & trees to build up on its hills... ALL of which become dangerously dry & flameable when the rain STOPS, and doesn't start again- sometimes for years... And since there are more & More People living in those bushy California hills as time passes- the Wild Fires do more & MORE damage to people's Lives, as time goes by... :(

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Because it has a lot of forest area lot of mountains with overgrown trees and bushes a lot of campsites and not much rain except for 3 or 4 months a year.. Some of the fires are from lightning strikes some from arson some from careless campers all spread by winds coming off the ocean

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

The changing ecology of the land through human intervention and the climate that the land has is not able to withstand the onslaught of the massive population and farming.

Too many people not enough water too much heat and no natural means of fighting it or staving it off.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

cause Sin City Los Vegas gets to much water from California to waste on Gamblers, leaving California Bone Dry, that's not natural i tell you, and the consequence is a lake that is getting lower and lower and California is getting drier and drier

• Ibredd
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

I thought they had some laws that keeps people from cutting the underbrush

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Because they voted a dumb, muscle bound foreigner in as governor!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Arson and carelessness.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.