Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 1 decade ago

What should I attempt to cook?

I've just taken up cooking and I find it very enjoyable. However, I haven't cooked anything out of the simple pastry section of my cookbook, and I'm not sure what I should attempt at this stage.

I'd like to know any simple recipes that don't more than two hours, (prep and bake time)

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Chocolate Turtle Cheesecake-- no bake

1 (9 inch) prepared chocolate cookie crumb crust

1/2 (14 ounce) package caramel candy

1/4 cup evaporated milk

3/4 cup chopped pecans

2 (3 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened

1/2 cup sour cream

1 1/4 cups milk

1 (3.9 ounce) package instant chocolate pudding mix

1/2 cup chocolate fudge topping

DIRECTIONS

Place caramels and evaporated milk in a heavy saucepan. Cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes, stirring constantly, until smooth. Stir in 1/2 cup of the chopped pecans. Pour into chocolate crumb crust.

In a blender or food processor, combine cream cheese, sour cream and milk. Process until smooth. Add pudding mix and process for about 30 seconds longer. Pour over caramel layer and refrigerate 15 minutes, or until set.

Drizzle fudge topping over cake in a decorative pattern. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup pecans. Refrigerate until ready to serve.

-----------------

New York Cheesecake

Pastry:

1 cup all purpose flour

¼ cup sugar

1 t grated lemon rind

¼ t vanilla

1 egg yolk

1 stick butter softened

Mix all ingredients by hand until well blended. Use a little cold water if necessary to make workable dough. Chill 1 hour.

Filling:

2½ pounds cream cheese at room temperature

1¾ cups sugar

¼ t vanilla

3 T flour

5 eggs

1½ t grated lemon rinds

¼ cup heavy cream

Mix all ingredients with mixer adding eggs one at a time. Beat until mixture is extremely smooth. Use 9” spring form pan. Butter bottom and side. Use about ⅓ of chilled dough and roll to about ¼” thick to fit bottom of pan. Bake at 400° for 15 minutes. Remove and cool. Place top of pan on bottom. Roll remaining dough and fit around sides. Press so that sides are covered. Pour in cheese mixture. Bake at 500° and continue baking 1 hour. Let cool gradually. Remove pan sides to serve

--

Caramel Pecan Cheesecake

2 cups HONEY MAID Graham Cracker Crumbs

6 Tbsp. butter or margarine, melted

35 KRAFT Caramels

1/4 cup milk

1 cup chopped PLANTERS Pecans

3 pkg. (8 oz. each) PHILADELPHIA Cream Cheese, softened

3/4 cup sugar

1 tsp. vanilla

3 eggs

1 square BAKER'S Semi-Sweet Baking Chocolate

MIX crumbs and butter; press firmly onto bottom and 2 inches up side of 9-inch springform pan.

PLACE caramels and milk in small microwavable bowl. Microwave on HIGH 2 to 2-1/2 minutes or until caramels are completely melted when stirred, stirring after each minute. Stir in pecans. Reserve 1/2 cup of the caramel mixture for topping. Drizzle remaining caramel mixture evenly onto bottom of crust. Refrigerate 10 minutes.

BEAT cream cheese, sugar and vanilla with electric mixer on medium speed until well blended. Add eggs, 1 at a time, mixing on low speed after each addition just until blended. Pour over caramel mixture in crust.

BAKE at 325°F for 1 hour 5 minutes to 1 hour 10 minutes or until center is almost set. Run knife or metal spatula around side of pan to loosen cake; cool before removing side of pan. Refrigerate 4 hours or overnight.

TOP with reserved caramel mixture just before serving. Melt chocolate as directed on package; drizzle over cheesecake. Store leftover cheesecake in refrigerator

--------

Banana Split Cheesecake

2-1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs

3/4 cup butter or margarine, melted

4 cups confectioners' sugar

2 packages (8 ounce) cream cheese, softened

1 cup crushed pineapple, drained

3 bananas, quartered

1 container (12 ounce) frozen whipped topping, thawed

8 maraschino cherries, halved

1/2 cup chocolate syrup

1/2 cup chopped nuts

Place about 15 sheets of graham crackers into a blender on medium speed to make crumbs. Combine crumbs with melted butter in a bowl and toss with a fork until moistened (add about 1 teaspoon of warm water if necessary).

Press crumb mixture into bottom of a 9 X 12 inch baking dish. Blend cream cheese and powdered sugar together until smooth.

Carefully spread cream cheese mixture evenly over crumb crust. Spoon crushed pineapple evenly over cream cheese mixture.

Distribute quartered bananas on top of pineapple. Spread whipped topping on top of all.

Decorate with cherry halves. Drizzle with chocolate syrup and sprinkle with nuts. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours before serving.

Note: Fresh peach slices or frozen strawberries can be use with or substituted for pineapples, if desired.

=================================

Basic Cheesecake

Now, people in the comments swear by leaving this thing in the turned off oven for 5 hours, but my family would never have that much patience. However, if I wanted a really nice presentation, I would leave it there like the directions say, that way no cracking. This is so good, and you can put whatever topping on it you like.

15 graham crackers, crushed

2 tablespoons butter, melted

4 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese

1 1/2 cups white sugar

3/4 cup milk

4 eggs

1 cup sour cream

1 tablespoon vanilla extract

1/4 cup all-purpose flour

Preheat oven to 35

• 1 decade ago

you could start by baking a simple cake. here is a recipe:

INGREDIENTS

1 cup white sugar

1/2 cup butter

2 eggs

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

1 3/4 teaspoons baking powder

1/2 cup milk

DIRECTIONS

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9x9 inch pan or line a muffin pan with paper liners.

In a medium bowl, cream together the sugar and butter. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, then stir in the vanilla. Combine flour and baking powder, add to the creamed mixture and mix well. Finally stir in the milk until batter is smooth. Pour or spoon batter into the prepared pan.

Bake for 30 to 40 minutes in the preheated oven. For cupcakes, bake 20 to 25 minutes. Cake is done when it springs back to the touch.

Quick and Easy Powdered Sugar Icing

2 cups powdered sugar (sifted)

1/2 teaspoon vanilla

2 tablespoons milk

Mix the powdered sugar with the vanilla and milk. Then add more milk a bit at a time until it is thin enough to drizzle over a cake. Once you've iced your cake, it's best to let it stand for one or two hours.

To make chocolate icing, add two tablespoons cocoa powder when you mix the powdered sugar and follow the rest of the recipe above

Good Luck--

Shelby

• 1 decade ago

I'll tell you what you should try to make; you should try to make a PIE. Men LOVE Pie! Especially they love FRUIT PIE! My son hates cake, and I can't make a pie-crust worth a tinkers damn, I just don't have the ability. (You know how some people just can't seem to master certain things? Well for me it was pastry.) Anyway, you go master a pie-crust and you'll be able to do all of the other pastries just fine. Just remember, Dad's love pie, Brothers love pie, MEN LOVE PIE! ;D Make a fruit pie! ;D

Source(s): My son is a Marine and he has always preferred a pie for his birthday instead of cake.
  • 1 decade ago

Any pastry you make takes longer than two hours they need time to chill. Sopillas might be a good one to try they don't take very long but you need a fryer.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Ever try tarts or strudels?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.