My niece in North Carolina needs a graphing calculator for school and can't afford it, any options for help?

Her mom is unemployed and I can't understand making the students purchase a 120 dollar calculator, there has to be other options like assistance from the school district or something.

Favorite Answer

Does your niece have a learning disability or developmental delay. You could ask special education to help you get that for her needs.

She doesn't need to be a special needs room. Just someone who can say she gets section 504 assistance. That way the special education department can supply it to her.

I live in Chicago, Illinois, and I know exactly about a high school like this here. We have a Walter Payton College Prep here, in Chicago, and it is a selective enrollment school with expensive instruments and techy classrooms. They charge hundreds of dollars of fees for classroom instructional purposes and ask their students to buy a $150 graphing calculator. However, students who are on the Reduced/Free Lunch Program can borrow a calculator at the school's library. Also, there are loans available for those who needs assistance with paying for school fees. Ask the school counselor if they have such a program and see if they could lend your niece a free calculator. If the school doesn't have such a program, go to eBay or other second-hand stores to find if there are used calculators available for sale. Hope I was of help. Good luck.

you will desire to need the graphing calculator this year in Geometry and in spite of the fact that in case you do not destiny math lessons you're taking which contain Pre-Calculus and Calculus, some more desirable Trigonometry or maybe greater math would be plenty much less of a worry with a graphing calculator. Plus they are large to have and can carry out such quite some diverse strikes for you it particularly is remarkable.

Check with the Media Center (Library) at the School; sometimes they loan them out to the Students with an ID at no cost. However, if they loose the calculator there is a fee to the family

the calculator would be a graphing calculator, and yes it does cost a lot of money. usually if the student is unable to afford the calculator, teachers (at my school) loan it to the student for the school year. maybe you could get this arranged.

Look around for Yard Sales. I bought mine at one for $20! There are a lot of them this time of year.

Source(s): Me!

My friend bought hers from a pawnshop for about 20 bucks!!!

you can buy a used one for about $35 on amazon !

or try ebay

Source(s): college student

eBay.

They're cheap up there.

I live in NC and if I could send her mine for free I would.

:(