Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsMedicine · 1 decade ago

What to expect while on Trazodone?

i just got switched from seroquel to trazodone (for anxiety, because seroquel was causing weight gain) and tonight is my first night taking it.

what should i expect?

ive searched it online, but it would be helpful to hear some things from someone firsthand.

• creep!
    Favorite Answer

All it did for me was make me spaced out, but not tired, just really spaced out.

I was using it for insomnia and it just didn't work at all.

In a sense, I felt like I was on some cheap smack xD

But I was taking it with Abilify, and I dropped both of those and started taking Saroquel.

Which worked a lot better for me, but I did gain weight but not much.

Now I'm slowly coming off all my crazy meds :]

Trazodone was first devoloped as an anti-depressant, it worked but as new drugs were developed , one of the " side affects was droziness. It works different for different people. Some respond just like your first answer,er wrote some only experince slight droziness. This all depends on how many mgs your taking. You never said Why you were prescribe this med.? Higher doses will most diffinatly make you tired, but may not induce 6-8 hours of sleep. I have been prescribed up to 500 mgs & it didn"t do much for me at all. But I would recomend to use as directed & to make a log of how you feel on it, So you can share this with your doctor. Sweet Dreams.!!!!!

After about a half hour or so, you will become really tired and fall asleep. And sleep very soundly for 6-8 hours. It works really well for sleeping. If it is for daytime anxiety, then probably not a good thing since you will fall asleep. Thats it though, nothing else should happen, unless you experience side effects.

Trazodone is a tetracyclic antidepressant medication. It is thought to increase the activity of one of the brain chemicals (serotonin) which may become unbalanced and cause depression. It may also be used for relief of anxiety disorders (eg, sleeplessness, tension) and chronic pain.Trazodone is used to treat depression.Trazodone may also be used for other purposes not listed in this medication guide.

DESYREL is indicated for the treatment of depression. The efficacy of DESYREL has been demonstrated in both inpatient and outpatient settings and for depressed patients with and without prominent anxiety. The depressive illness of patients studied corresponds to the Major Depressive Episode criteria of the American Psychiatric Association's Diagnostic and Statistical Manual, III.a

Major Depressive Episode implies a prominent and relatively persistent (nearly every day for at least two weeks) depressed or dysphoric mood that usually interferes with daily functioning, and includes at least four of the following eight symptoms: change in appetite, change in sleep, psychomotor agitation or retardation, loss of interest in usual activities or decrease in sexual drive, increased fatigability, feelings of guilt or worthlessness, slowed thinking or impaired concentration, and suicidal ideation or attempts.

SIDE EFFECTS

Because the frequency of adverse drug effects is affected by diverse factors (e.g., drug dose, method of detection, physician judgment, disease under treatment, etc.) a single meaningful estimate of adverse event incidence is difficult to obtain. This problem is illustrated by the variation in adverse event incidence observed and reported from the inpatients and outpatients treated with DESYREL. It is impossible to determine precisely what accounts for the differences observed.

Clinical Trial Reports

The table below is presented solely to indicate the relative frequency of adverse events reported in representative controlled clinical studies conducted to evaluate the safety and efficacy of DESYREL® (trazodone hydrochloride).

The figures cited cannot be used to predict precisely the incidence of untoward events in the course of usual medical practice where patient characteristics and other factors often differ from those which prevailed in the clinical trials. These incidence figures, also, cannot be compared with those obtained from other clinical studies involving related drug products and placebo as each group of drug trials is conducted under a different set of conditions.

Switching from one medication to others takes time for readjustment.

You may have trouble to fall asleep. But as the time goes by, you will be okay. It takes few more days to readjust to the new medicaiton.