Best way to install a 52" flat lcd when there are metal studs?

I believe they are called metal studs... Just in case I am using the wrong words, they are cheap aluminum rails from floor to ceiling and what the drywall attaches to, but are normally wood 2x4's.

I wanted to see what people do in this case before I rip the wall apart and am stuck with a ton of drywall refinishing work...

My plan is to cut the 2'x8' area of drywall out and place two 8 foot 2x4's inside the width of the metal studs and attach to the floor and ceiling (both concrete) with brackets and tapcons.I would then cut a notch in both 2x4's the depth of a 2x6 and insert a 2x6 horizontally the width of the tv mount to make it even stronger since I am already doing so much work anyway.

The only 2 benefits I can think of is that in wall wiring will be even nicer, much easier and in pvc tubing or condiute, plus the wall mount will be super sturdy and never fail.

If there is an easier way I would love to know. I don't see the average person with an lcd as willing to go through all that as I am and think there has to be an easier way.

Thanks a lot in advance. and if it helps, I don't care about doing it to code, my only concern is making sure that $2 grand worth of glass doesn't turn in to $2 worth of glass pieces.

1 Answer

  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    What you're doing is actually overkill. Cut out a piece of the drywall to figure out which way the studs are facing. They are shaped like a C and the open sides should all face the same direction. You can cut a block (2x10 should work well for the TV bracket) at 15-7/8". Cut a notch at 1-1/4", about 3/16" deep, across the grain of the board. This will fit inside the flange of the stud, and can be screwed through the face of the flange. For the other end, you will need to remove the drywall to the center of the next stud. Hold the block flush with the face of the stud, then run a couple of screws through the stud into the block. Repair the drywall and you will have good, sturdy backing for your bracket. This is the type of blocking we put in for anything on metal studs, such as cabinets, equipment, handicap grab bars, etc. Hope this helps.

    Source(s): Carpenter
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.