I'm apprehensive of going to college...?

I'll be out of the military soon. I want to be a doctor. I barely graduated high school (almost) seven years ago and didn't take any classes to prepare for college. With veteran's benefits I have a great opportunity to go to any university I want to.

The thing is, I'm apprehensive of my knowledge level and scared that I wont make it at a "real" college (not a community college). I never took chemistry, biology, or anything beyond algebra.

Should I go to a community college for a semester and get up to speed? I tried talking to counselors but no one will give me answers until I take SAT/ACT, placement tests, etc...the local community college wont even talk to me until I am accepted to that school. What do I do?

This is response to PE's comment below...

I currently work under the license of a doctor, in a small clinic. I write full SOAP notes, including DXs, RXs and TX plans for marines. So yes, I will be a doctor...I already do a doctor's work anyways; it has all been learned from OJT with various Navy doctors over the past 3.5 years.

I appreciate answers and insight, but not vague quips like "you'll never be a doctor of anything". Thanks all.

Favorite Answer

Reality is you're not going to be a doctor of anything. However, you can get a decent education which will improve your life/job prospects.

You should not got to university immediately — you're almost guaranteed to fail. However, you can ease into the academic world by taking a couple of course at community collge. My guess is you should chose something that leads to a typical 2-yr degree/diploma in something useful, such as "Welding" or "Machining" but that offers the prospect of a 4-yr degree in Technology if you decide to go that far, or maybe leads to an apprenticeship.

First step might be to take a test called the "Strong Interest Inventory". This test shows how your interests match the interests of people already working in the field. You can take this test online for ~$50.

ADDED:

"I barely graduated high school...I never took chemistry, biology, or anything beyond algebra."

That's all anyone needs to know to assess your chances of getting into a School of Medicine" or a P.A. program. You need to be realistic... If you're a Corpsman you should have stated that already — or do you prefer to ambush people after they give you sound advice?

If you have a workforce center or jobs center near you then go there and talk to someone about your goals. I've applied to 3 different "everyone gets in" colleges and before paying any fees I had to take placement tests, to see what classes I should start out taking. Even the one I applied to with my ACT scores.

If you feel like you need to brush up on some skills, relax. Many colleges offer courses that will bring you up to speed on the subjects. I don't think anyone will be able to help you much without a placement test, because they don't know what your level is or where to begin.

If there's a jobcorps near you, I'd suggest looking into that but they only take young adults 16-24 yrs of age with certain income qualifications.

You'll have to go to community college and take some courses and entrance test to see where you are at academics wise so the college will know what you need to take and get an idea about what classes to put you in to prepare you for pre-med courses. Tell your local community college you are a veteran and need help with returning to school. since it has been so long since you finished high school SAT/ACT shouldn't be a question but you will need to go the community college then transfer route because of your situation. Doing so will be a better option because you can get an idea of how college course work works and how you do in school again. Not to mention its cheaper.

Good Luck and study hard.

• dech

University of Virginia (twenty fourth quality college within the nation): -You have an overly well danger (seventy five% danger) of reputation if you'll be able to get an ACT rating of 32 out of 36 or an SAT rating of 1400 out of 1600 or 2100 out of 2400 - If your SAT rating is 1300 out of 1600 or 1950 out of 2400 I might say you might have a 50% danger of reputation University of Florida (forty seventh quality college within the nation) -If you rating a 1250 out of 1600 or 1875 out of 2400 on SAT or 27 out of 36 on ACT then you are going to have an overly well danger of reputation (eighty five% danger) University of Pittsburg (fifty fifth quality college within the nation) -If you rating a 1300 out of 1600 or an 1950 out of 2400 on SAT or 29 on ACT then you are going to have an overly well danger of reputation (eighty% danger) Colgate University (nineteenth quality liberal arts institution) -If you rating a 1300 out of 1600 or 1950 out of 2400 on SAT or 29 on ACT then you are going to have a k danger of reputation (sixty five% danger) -If you rating 1400 out of 1600 or 2100 out of 2400 on SAT or 31 on ACT then you are going to have an overly well danger of reputation (eighty five%) University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (twenty eighth quality college) -If you rating a 1300 out of 1600 or 1950 out of 2400 on SAT or 29 on ACT then you are going to have a k danger of reputation (sixty five% danger) -If you rating 1400 out of 1600 or 2100 out of 2400 on SAT or 31 on ACT then you are going to have an overly well danger of reputation (eighty five%) University of Pennsylvania (fifth quality college within the nation - Ivy League) -Your GPA and hobbies are well however you are going to want an SAT rating of 1500 out of 1600 or 2250 out of 2400 or an ACT rating of 34 out of 36 to have a well danger -If you may have an SAT rating of 1300 out of 1600 or 1950 out of 2400 your probabilities for admittance are (15%)