Take off and landings of airplanes.... are they really safe?

I am absolutely frightned of flying, and i have to fly tomorrow morning and i am really really anxious, i really want some reassurance onhow safe are planes when taking off and landing... also, how safe is a plane during a bad turbulence? how can i make myself feel better about flying?? please please help!!!

24 Answers

Relevance
  • SkyDog
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Thousands of aircraft take-off and land everyday without incident. It is safe, very safe.

• 5 years ago

Source(s): Experience Real Flight Simulation : http://flightsimulator.siopu.com/?bCs
  • 1 decade ago

Take-off and landings are relatively safe maneuvers, although they are "Considerably" more dangerous than the actual flying part.

Before you ever leave the ground, there will be a dispatcher in an office 200 miles away, preparing information for the flight.....Local real time weather information for the airport will be given to the pilots *and they can check this information anytime they please too*.

Every Calculation is done before hand, and safety is insured before performing a takeoff.......otherwise hey, think about it for a minute. The only thiing that's happeneing at a takeoff, is the pilots get clearence from the airport's Tower Controller for departure, they line up, Check the engines - Hand over control of the engines to the Auto-throttle.

the Auto-Throttle will command the engines to their set takeoff thrust, Either maximum thrust, or a De-rated thrust set by the pilots.......

from there its just like driving a car down a runway untill the wings can create enough lift *This is precalculated by the way* and the pilot will pitch up, and within 30 seconds The most dangerous part of flying is 100% Done.

when it comes to landing, the pilots again have all the information they need to make a very well INFORMED decision on wether or not to make a landing. If they can't land at the destination *For safety reasons* there are Thousands of other suitable Airports in the United States *Or Europe if that's where you're flying* to make what would otherwise be - an un-interesting landing.

Turbulence is a cakewalk for an airplane.......An airplane is built by standard to be rated for 3.8G's in its flight envelope.... +3.8 G's is getting pretty heavy wouldn't you say? if you weigh 120 pounds, at 3.8 G's you weigh 450 Pounds!.

take into account that airplane can handle that 3.8G's....and remember the FAA requires that for certification, that airplane must be able to handle at a Minimum 150% of its normal Loading weight on the wings, this means the airplane MUST be able to handle 4.9G's at its Maximum Takeoff weight.......

You would have a great difficulty hitting 4.9 G's in the Severest of Turbulence........that's not to say it isn't possible, but the likeliness is So so so miniscule...

You'll be fine :)

Source(s): FAA Licensed Airman.
  • 1 decade ago

When a pilot checks out an airplane for a trip, he signs a paper in which he agrees to return the airplane to the airline in good working order. He breaks it, he pays for it.

Seriously, your flight will be operated by a very skilled, very experienced pilot and co pilot, They have families . wives, children and homes, and they are not about to take any foolosh chances. Depending on your flight, the pilot and co p[ilot may make 5-6 landings and takeoffs in a day, so, as you see, they are very expertienced.

Airplanes are built to withstand more turbulence than they will ever see, and pilots will try to steer away from turbulence.

Ever been in a car that crosses railroad tracks at about 40-miles per hour. Bump, bump!!! That's what most turbulence will feel like.

Nowe, get some rest, and have a great flight tomorrow.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Why wouldn't a plane be safe?

I"ve flown so many times without any trouble at all. nothing, at allll

So the jet does not rise up into the air because a jet shoots from the engines, and the plane flies. i got comfortable knowing that planes rise into the air because air pushes the wings causing the plane to rise. I tried this by sticking my hand out on the freeway. If the car is fast enough, the hand rises really quickly. nature never fails :)

landing? unless you're in a plane with no engines, no pilot and captain, or a space shuttle.. you're safe

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

duhh

how lucky you are flying tomorrow

look ,, landing and take-off are really safe

if it is not safe the people will not fly on airplane

PS : if the aircraft is not safe it wouldn't take-off

to know : if anything in the aircraft failed , there is something instead

even if everything is failed everything (( engines , electricity )) anything

the aircraft could land ,, even on the sea

and no turbulance can get the aircraft down even if it was severe turbulance ,, for example AF447 fall down because the electricity was failed so the weather radar couldn't work well = no weather information

so don't worry sweety , take care

Happy Flight

Source(s): Real World Pilot
  • I was the same way, until I flew to the Dominican Republic and flew to see my dad in MO. It's not as bad as you really think it will be. Take an MP3 player and just close your eyes and breath, lol. The less you pay attention, the better you'll feel. Of course, when they're first taking off and when landing, you won't be able to use any electronics, so keep it down where you can hear if you use them before take off. Picture yourself in a car, close your eyes, and when there's turbulance, the driver just hit a bump on the road. Like you were in a car seat when you were little, lol

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Trust me kiddo. Flying is the ABSOLUTELY Safest mode of transportation there is. Besides the Piolet's are FAR more worried about the take off and landing than you are.

PS: Do not focus on any thing inside the plane like the front. Otherwise you will get air sick. Just eat a light meal like eggs and milk about 2 hours before take off and watch out the windows.

PS Watch me in flight . . .

Now was that KOOL OR WHAT . . .

• 1 decade ago

Twenty years of aircraft maintenance in the USAF, retired and have flown more than most. You have concerns about flying, yet this concern is not as strong about driving. Your chances of an accident in a car are far greater than in a airplane. The pilot is well trained and knows his life is on the line as well as all of those that fly with him. I have less concern about flying than I do about a morning commute in down town traffic. My job included inspecting aircraft prior to and after flights. I was a crew chief for many of those years and a lot of the pilots that fly Commercial planes today were previous USAF pilots. I believe that you are in good hands and your worries are not necessary.

Source(s): USAF Quality verification inspector, retired, A&P lisence, ASE Master Tech automotive.
  • 1 decade ago

50,000 commercial planes take off and land in the US alone every day. You'll be fine. As for turbulence, to my knowledge there has never been a fatality caused by some catastrophic damage to the aircraft while experiencing turbulence.

• 1 decade ago

Take-offs and landings occur twenty-four hours a day around the world, and yet accidents are almost unknown. Therefore one can deduce that take-offs and landings are safe.

Turbulence is not a problem for aircraft. It can be a problem for passengers if the turbulence is heavy and the passengers are not in their seats with their seat belts fastened. Severe turbulence may toss passengers and flight attendants around the cabin if they aren't strapped in, but it won't endanger the aircraft.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.