YahooAnswerer asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

What Is The Average Lifespan Of A Doberman?

My doggy Sam is a Doberman,and he turned 9 June 7th,2009.He is old and has some problems getting up,and he isn't as active as before.

What is the average lifespan of a Doberman?

Favorite Answer

As a Dobermann owner for nearly 40 years... I would say the average age of 10 - 12 years is probably the norm... Some will live longer, but really you are lucky if you Dobe lives on into its teens.

Lots of things you can do for arthritis though... do a bit of research on the web. Fish oil is great for Omega 3 (sardines and other whole edible bone fish). I also have used cartrophen injections from the vet in the past and it worked WONDERS (gave one of my elderly dogs a new lease on life). Also all those products you see advertised, ie - Sashas blend and joint Guard(Australia) etc. to help with joints, they contain things like Green Lipped Mussels, Glucosamine & Chondroitin Sulphates, Omega 3 etc. All great. Many are herbal and don't need a vets presciption.

Lastly I know for people and horses apple cider vinegar is fantastic and VERY cheap unlike everything else i just listed... it may be worth researching or asking your vet if it is suitable for dogs.

ps - Keep excess weight off him and his joints and him will thank you for it. People tend to let old dogs get a bit fat which is the absolute worst thing you can do for arthritis. He should still be maintained at a nice healthy weight. Keep him warm during colder months with a jacket on him instead and soft bedding off the ground.

Hope some of these suggestions help!

Source(s): Dobie lover!
  • .

The average livespan for a male is 9 years for a female 10 yrs. Keep in mind that is the average and dogs can die much younger and live much older. I know people that have lost Dobies at 3yo from DCM and people that have had them live to be 15 and 16 yo. All dogs slow down as they age if he is having problems getting up and down see your vet, the condition may be treatable with medication.

About 13 or 14 years

ordinary is 10 to twelve years they could have some well-being problems. yet fairly each dogs is diverse my aunt had a large dane which existence expectancy is 10 years and lived to be 15. some illnesses of the dobie are maximum cancers, Dilated Cardiomyopathy (DCM), Cervical Vertebral Instability (Wabbler Syndrome), Hypothyroidism von Willebrand’s affliction, and Hip Dysplasia

At 9 he is getting to be a senior citizen.

Average lifespan is 10 years.

I have had four Dobermans

Duchess lived to be 15 years old (cancer)

China died at 9 years of age (lymphosarcoma)

Monstro died at 10 years old Cardiomyopathy

Princess died at 12 years old Cardiomyopathy

Before you move to the heavy duty arthritis medicines I strongly urge you to look into getting him adequan shots. They have NO side effects and everyone I know who has used them has seen miraculous results in their dogs.

Talk to your vet about it.

Life span: 10 to 13 years

http://lnk.nu/dogtime.com/skv.html

Life span: 10 to 13 years

Here's more info.

http://lnk.nu/dogtime.com/skv.html

about 10 to 15. he still has some good years in him

!0-12 years, maybe he would do well on Rimadyl. Ask your vet