How to decrease tension in my neck?

I am frequently...daily....affected by an incredible amount of stress. This results in huge knots in my back and neck, particularly in the neck, which in turn leads to a special type of migraine that includes headache/vision/dizziness problems, but no nausea. Sometimes, however, the knots and tension in my neck does get bad enough that it makes me nauseous.

I used to go the chiropractor, and it helped A LOT, but as I'm only 16, and since my parents are struggling with the bad economy, I can't go anymore. I had a massage on my back and neck once, and that made the problems go away for about a week. What can I do???? Sometimes I can't even focus in school or when holding a conversation it's so bad, and it even hurts to lay down on a pillow at night! Please help!

Thanks so much.

Favorite Answer

I went to them as well as for acupuncture and physical therapy and none did the job for me. Then i got to these muscle releasing techniques and I haven't needed a chiro or acupuncture since Dec. I had been going at least every two weeks when things were good, more often when not, now not at all.

For neck:

Put both hands behind your neck and place your fingers on your neck muscles and press in with a moderate pressure and hold.

Now relax, take a deep breath and exhale and don't tense up any part of your body, including your arms, let your hands do the work.

After 30 seconds, slowly lower your head until your neck is fully extended and hold for another 10 seconds.

Then release the pressure but hold your head there for one minute.

front:

Place both your thumbs up under your chin near the front. The muscle there should be very tight, but press into it and hold.

Relax again

When the muscle relaxes, 30 to 60 seconds, slowly raise your head until your neck is fully extended and hold for another 10 seconds.

Back:

While standing place your hands on your hips, waist high and fingers resting on the muscles next to your spine. Press in with your fingers and hold the pressure there.

Relax again.

When the muscle relax, 30 to 60 seconds, slowly lower yourself forward as far as you can and hold for another 10 seconds.

Then release the pressure but hold your body there for one minute.

There can be others you need but do these first and find out how you feel when you have done them. Let me know and I'll help with any other ones you have.