Do you think I would have a sexual discrimination case?

At my work there are 19 employees. 5 male and 14 female. Of the five males, 4 do blue collar work, only one does higher paid white collar work. One guy and 14 women. No women do blue collar work. That means that 100 percent of blue collar work is done by men and 93 percent of white collar work is done by women. Additionally, there was a change in parking policy a few weeks ago. We used to have two lots we could use, both about 1/2 block from the store and it was pretty equal who got permits for which lot. Then one of the lots quit selling us permits, all the women in that lot got permits for the closer lot and all the men in the closer lot except for one now have to park in another lot 5 blocks away. So we are again with these same unequal numbers, where the further lot is 100% men and the closer lot is 93% women. Do you think this would be grounds for a sexual discrimination suit?

"Incidentally, congratulations to your place of work for assigning the women the closer, therefore safer, parking spots. I'm sure the blue collar guys can handle walking the extra distance." Isn't that right there sexual discrimination? The company is making decisions based on the employees sex. Couldn't they just as easily say that women would be safer in new company vehicles, and by your logic buy all the women new cars? As for qualifications to white collar jobs, I am sure there are male salespeople and accountants and such, but I have a hard time believing that it is just random chance that the best candidate in over 90% of the hirings were female. It would seem to me that the person doing the hiring has a preference to hire women for one sort of job and men for another.

"This could not qualify as a case for sexual discrimination. Sexual discrimnation basically deals with sexual favors directed against the other for employment purposes." This is sexual harrassment, not sexual discrimination. Why do people answer questions they don't have the slightest clue about? If you don't even know what the words in the question mean, perhaps you should keep your ill informed opinion to yourself.

Favorite Answer

Unequal numbers is not enough to prove sex discrimination. The Court has ruled that discrimination must be explicit and intentional which is difficult to prove.

• Not necessarily, no. Do the men who work blue collar have the skills and experience to work int he white collar jobs? Are men routinely turned down for the white collar job in favor of women? Or are women turned down for the blue collar jobs in favor of men?

Do the white collar jobs pay better than the blue collar jobs?

Numbers alone mean nothing. Only a definitive, obvious pattern of sexual preference will allow a successful discrimination case, and I don't see that from what you've given us.

Incidentally, congratulations to your place of work for assigning the women the closer, therefore safer, parking spots. I'm sure the blue collar guys can handle walking the extra distance.

This could not qualify as a case for sexual discrimination. Sexual discrimnation basically deals with sexual favors directed against the other for employment purposes.

• manger

whilst I thoroughly understand your mom's frustration, there is not any sexual discrimination here. an identical situation took place to me. With 15 years adventure in my marketplace, a year in the past my agency employed a guy to be "my equivalent" and all started him on an identical sales as me. He had NO marketplace adventure. Ten months later, they promoted him. businesses do not would desire to offer inner workers the possibility to interview for promotions - they surely have the the terrific option to sell the guy they think of is terrific perfect for the activity. What i might advise is that your mom bypass to her supervisor (earlier supervisor, on the grounds that this guy is now her supervisor), and communicate approximately it. She would desire to tell them that she would not understand why SHE replaced into ignored for this merchandising. you would be stunned what you will discover out purely with the aid of asking the question. that's why i'm now in a sparkling place with a various agency...

No it would not.