Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureCultures & GroupsSenior Citizens · 1 decade ago

Seniors, what advice do you have for us whippersnappers so we can try not to waste our youth?

I always hear the youth is wasted on the young, and I don't want to waste mine.

Very insightful responses.

Favorite Answer

Spend a little less time on the Web. Spend more time really learning to improve your life. No one else can do it for you.

Sleep a little to rest. Use your energies for things you love.

Find creative outlets. Do not allow yourself the luxury of bordom.

Dream Big. sounds crazy but if you can think it - you can do it. Maybe not right away. You can succeed if you become more specific on how you can accomplish just about anything. Dream well....

Find a successful mentor. then ask to be mentored.

Good Luck!

Source(s): personal experience.
  • Bonnie

Oh, you dear little whippersnapper, what a great question. Enjoy your youth by selecting good friends to enjoy it with. Before you make a decision to do something that you feel is just not right, ask yourself what the consequences would be. Make your studies the most important part of your young years because the result will be a successful future. Listen to your parents, because they want what's best for you even though you may not think so at the time. I encourage you also to rely on faith. It will get you through every trial you face when growing into a responsible adult. Lastly, don't be too quick to fall in love. Make sure you chose a mature person with good morals who wants to spend his/her life with you.

• sunny

Education is everything even if you have to educate yourself. Don't believe everything you read or hear without researching it. Don't be in a hurry to get married or have a family. Enjoy your youth for as long as you can. Don't sweat the small stuff. No matter how bad things might get, the sun will come out tomorrow and in just 24 hours things can really change for the better just don't panic. Always remember that you are only in control of yourself and you cannot have any control over others. You will never change anyone. You have to love a person just the way they are and never expect any more. You can only expect more of yourself. Remember when you have children that you are the parent and it is your job to teach them how to survive in this world and not to be their friend. Your job is making sure that they get out of the nest knowing how to survive in this world and be socially accepted. When you become a parent it is a 24 hour a day job and it is a job. Don't just let them do anything they want so you can be popular with them. But you can't be to strict either. You have to walk a fine line. Take time for yourself. Learn to say no if you really don't want to do something. Don't ever let anyone be abusive to you emotionally or physically. Have a sense of humor. Laugh as much as you can.

Be true to yourself. Carry yourself with conviction, ethics and civility.

Stay far away from workplace cliques; that also includes staying far away from difficult coworker(s). Every workplace has one, or a few.

Discover what you're truly passionate about-seperate from your job. Writing, painting, drawing, cooking, dancing-the list is endless. Maintain that passion even if it's only on weekends.

Don't let your job become your life, and don't let it define you. Before you know it, you'll be looking at retirement. Retire into your passion(s); don't retire into nothing. Some who've lived for their jobs and are now retired, don't know what to do. That doesn't have to happen to you if you plan by creating a hobby.

Above all-take good care of your health. What what you eat, get and stay physically active, in moderation. You won't regret it when you get older.

I've done all of the above-except for making my job my life-and those tips have worked for me.

All the best.

The one thing I have tried really hard to do is to 'enjoy' the downs as much as the ups.

I know it sounds silly but if I live long enough I may come to regret not doing so.

This one life-span is really all there is in the scheme of things.

Live it.

Life is just the bit that happens between birth and death.

It's no big deal.

The Buddhists say that all life is suffering..

caused by ignorance..

caused by desire..

desire for different circumstances.

Enjoy the moment - carpe diem.

~

Good question.

Found myself nodding at all the great answers from fellow old timers.

Listen up .

All the quote means is that many of us wish we had the strength to do the things that only the young can do & how great it would be if we could relive our youth having the advantage of the wisdom some gain as we get older..........."if I knew then what I know now".

Got the best advice ever....3 words ..."do no harm."

That means to yourself , anyone else or any thing....covers everything.

Best regards

Education, education, education. Did I mention education? ;)

You are going to make mistakes along the way, Learn from them. Pull yourself up by the bootstraps and march on.

Enjoy your youth by being obedient to parents and civil law.

Watch what you post online, (facebook, my space,) that may come back to haunt you one day concerning a job.

Listen to your mentors. They have your best interest at heart. Learn to take constuctive critisism for what it is worth, to edify you.

Learn at an early age, if you cannot say something good about someone, say nothing at all.

Last but certainly not least, treat others as you wish to be treated. You cannot go wrong by doing this.

I also want to add this wonderful statement. 'Reach for the stars but keep your feet planted firmly on the ground.'

Have a wonderful youth!

1) Trust your perceptions.

2) Speak your truth.

3) Act from love.

4) This too shall pass.

5) Focus more on education than your appearance or romantic attachments.

6) Don't judge, don't belittle anyone, look for the good in every thing.

7) Have lots of fun!

• Well how refreshing for you to ask. You sound wise beyond your years!

I have two pieces of advice that will guarantee your youth is not wasted. #1 Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all of your might. #2 treat others the way you want to be treated.

Youth is a gift, keep urself in the middle of any issue, means regarding diet, do not eat so much do not starv so much, regarding exercise do not over exercise, do not be lazzy, regarding stresses, keep urself away from continuous over stresses (it is the hardest to achieve), wish u best of health

Source(s): My Speciality (environmental medical science expert)