I pray for them. I am not praying for the world, but for those you have given me, for they are yours.?

The words of Jesus in John 17:9.

Why would he not pray for the world but he would die for the world?

Or did he die just for the ones the father had given him?

• ?
    Favorite Answer

If Jesus died for the whole world, then the whole world would be saved. If He paid the price of the sins of every individual, then it would be unjust for God to send anyone to hell - since He had already punished Jesus for their sins He would in effect be doling out the punishment twice.

The Bible teaches that Christ died for those whom God gave him to save (John 17:9). Christ died, indeed, for many people, but not all (Matthew 26:28). Specifically, Christ died for the invisible Church -- the sum total of all those who would ever rightly bear the name "Christian" (Ephesians 5:25).

Believing that Jesus' death was a potential, symbolic atonement for anyone who might possibly, in the future, accept him trivializes Christ's act of atonement. Christ died to atone for specific sins of specific sinners. Christ died to make holy the church. He did not atone for all men, because obviously all men are not saved.