? asked in Home & GardenGarden & Landscape · 1 decade ago

Are my pumpkins ripe?

I grow pumpkins and i have for three years now. but for some reason this year they are really dark orange and it's gonna be september first tomarrow. Are they ripe or is this average this year? If this isn't normal is there anything i can do to keep the pumpkins from rotting?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Check your pumpkins growth - pick the smallest, and open it up and look at the seeds, if they're fully formed then its probable that your pumpkins are as ripe as they going to get. If they puny and whitish - they'll need another month or so.

• manger
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Pumpkins will ripen while they are picked, after a undeniable component has been reached of their progression. Pumpkins that are bought for jack-o-lanterns do not make sturdy pies, even with the undeniable fact that. a various style of pumpkin is used to make pie. Sugar pumpkins make very severe-high quality pies, as do many different types. i detect field pumpkins, or jack-o-lantern pumpkins, to be extremely stringy and watery in texture, even while run with the aid of a nutrients mill. A pumpkin is ripe while it incredibly is completely orange throughout, without green streaks. it incredibly is fullyyt plausible that your pumpkin replaced into underripe, or which you probably did not prepare dinner it long sufficient. extra tips:

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I would say they are ripe.Store them in a cool airy position & turn the occasionally.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.