Aaron asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 1 decade ago

How can I switch up my workout?

I have a few questions:

I am familiar with muscle memory. Are you supposed to workout a muscle group (i.e biceps) once every 3 days (Monday then again Wednesday)????

What different different muscle groups can you do each day (what goes good together)???

How can I change my routine each week??

..I like to go to the gym everyday so please don't hesistate in giving me assertive advice even if it looks like someone else has posted something extremely beneficial.

Thanks guys!!

• Aiden

Muscle memory refers to how your body learns certain motions. For example when you first learn a lift it may be awkward, you might have all kinds of things off with your technique. As you practice the lift a fix your technique it becomes easier to do the lift correctly.

This means that your technique is better and you don't have to focus on all the little details as much, instead you can focus on moving more weight. It's important to work on this because you don't want technique to limit how much you can lift.

That's why it's important to focus on specific exercises. This allows you to get much better at the technical aspect of the lift. Because of this you want to focus on a limited number of big exercises. You then supplement these lifts with whatever exercises you think will most beneficial.

Good lifts to focus on can include: Squats, deadlifts, bench press, overhead press, push press, jerks, rows, chin-ups, pull-ups, Cleans, power cleans, snatches and power snatches. Strongman lifts are also good, but most people don't have access to the proper equipment.

It's best to exercise muscle groups that have a lot of overlap together.

Chest, triceps and anterior deltiods are often trained by the same lifts, so you'd train them together. The same goes for Back, Biceps and Posterior deltoids. And all the muscles of the legs should be trained together.

Of course even then there is overlap. Most of the lifters I know (some of which are world class athletes) use either an upper lower split or total body workouts. How often you can train particular muscles depends on you, and also how your routine is layed out.

The best way to change your routine week to week is to vary the reps, sets and weight. Look up Prilepin's table. It's a chart made from data on thousands of weightlifters that shows under what conditions they made the best gains.

The table shows how many reps and sets you should do when your training at a certain percent of your max. You can vary your workouts by choosing different percentages, reps and sets from the table. Gradually add to the number you calculate the percentages from.

Check out the following routines. Even you don't want to follow them, they are all excellent routines and you can learn from seeing how the are layed out.

Starting Strength

Stronglifts 5x5

Bill Starr's 5x5

Texas Method

Westside for Skinny Bastards

Wendler 5/3/1

Sheiko

With regards to "I like to go to the gym everyday". Many people do, but the people who get best results take days off. It helps the body recover and it avoids injuries. If you let your body recover better between workouts the workouts more effective.