Lauren asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

My puppy had vaccinations and is yelping. Is this normal?

I have a 9 week old toy poodle puppy, Louie, who had his second round of DHLPP today (first was with breeder) and seemed fine all day. He ate, played, everything was fine. I put him to sleep a few hours ago and just went to get him out for his night potty, and he yelped when I picked him up. I put him down and picked him back up, more yelps. He's not responding to his name being called. I'm worried, is this normal? I've read good and bad things, and I don't know what to do! Help!

It sounds like a bad reaction to the vaccine. It's not uncommon for him to be sore at the injection site so be careful when handling him. Make sure he is drinking plenty and if he isn't feeling well by morning call the vet. It may not be a bad idea to check in on him in the middle of the night either just to make sure. Also my dog always gets a runny nose and sneezes when he gets his shots. He also gets pretty lazy the day after, so don't be surprised if he doesn't have much energy tomorrow.Hope this helps some, good luck with your new puppy.

It is a reaction to the "L" part of the vaccination. The "L" is leptospirosis and although it is a vaccine that your dog should have, it is also VERY common to get this reaction. Just make sure to call your vet and tell them so they leave that part out next time. I had 2 dogs that had that reaction. It should subside by morning. If it doesn't then call the vet in the morning and have him seen. But make sure to tell them that this happened. Google this and you'll see how common it is.

i would wait a few hours and if he is still like it call the vets,

and if anyone says bad things on here they are most likely tryin 2 scare u

someone said my cat has ate somethin toxic and that she will need 2 be rushed 2 the vets as soon as possible cus it mite be fatal and it was only a fur ball so dnt worry 2 much about the bad things,

most ppl are tryin 2 scare u

x

Get in touch with the vet. Sometimes the pups have reaction to the meds.

It is possible the injection site could be painful.