What purpose does placing parchment or waxed paper on the bottom of a greased cake pan serve?Just curious.?

Favorite Answer

Years ago, my Mother could only afford wax paper, so we would put the cake pans on top of a sheet of wax paper and use a scissors to make a circle around the pan and cut 2 pieces out. She would pour her cake batter on top of this and it was always so easy to remove the layers from the pan. In those days they used what they had.

I'm in the habit of rubbing butter in my cake pans, and then dusting with flour. I have used Bakers Joy, but it only takes a little butter and a sprinkle of flour for the same result. You don't always want the flour on the layers though, so parchment paper or wax paper works otherwise.

Source(s): Been baking forever.

Yes you can, but parchment paper would be the best, because wax paper has a lot of chemicals, that can slip into the cake.

• Liz

Makes it easier to remove the cake from the pan. Don't use wax paper though. Parchment paper is better

• Demi

It just makes sure that the cake will release cleanly. That's why I only do this if it really, really matters. ☺

added insurance it doesn't stick, also easy removal

that is how it is written in the bible. "and the disciples lined the pan with a holy parchment, and they baked a cake. And judas presented the cake to jesus, and said "take this cake unto the people!"