promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Any recourse if apartments go Section 8 without informing tenants?

My daughter lives in an apartment complex and has been perfectly happy there until recently. There have been a number of fights between other tenants who have moved in recently. My daughter was informed by a neighbor that the complex now accepts Section 8. This has her a little scared and thinking about moving. Her lease is not up until April. Does she have any recourse in getting out of her lease since the manager did not inform them of the change or do they have to inform the tenants?

Update:

addendum: Not saying everyone on section 8 are bad people by no means but fights, vandalism, littering and noise has increased significantly. The gym is now locked up due to vandalism, laundry room ceiling is being busted out by kids throwing objects at it, vending machines are busted, blinds in laundry ripped from windows and all gym equipment was vandilized in some fashion.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

None. The landlord does not have to inform the tenants they are accepting section 8. Your only recourse is to move either when the lease is up or pay the penality for breaking the lease early.

Source(s): Had the same thing happen and I broke the lease early and paid the price.
    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

The owner/manager need not inform other tenants that he is now accepting Sec 8. Other tenants have no right to know who is on Sec 8. The change to accepting Sec 8 is not grounds for breaking the lease, nor did the landlord break the lease.

If there are fights, call police. Make sure there is a good deadbolt lock on the door and locks on the windows which prevent their opening more than a few inches. Take all basic security precautions for home, car, personal safety.

If she ever feels threatened by other tenants, she needs to get an attorney which represents tenants (not landlords), and see if there is some way out due to substantial deterioration in the property or substantive change in the conditions. You'll need an expert landlord-tenant attorney to try to find a loophole in the state's laws, but there might be something despite the normal requirement to pay up the lease as agreed. It would have to be something extraordinary to break a lease.

• 1 decade ago

Section 8 doesn't mean that it's a bad complex. Plenty of wonderful, hard-working people are on section 8, it just means that the government pays a portion of their rent. No, your daughter doesn't have a right to know how other tenants are paying their rent. If there are fights she should report it to the landlord, and call the police.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

NO! They had no legal obligation to tell her AT ALL!! How anyone else is paying their rent is none of her business. She cannot break her lease because she does not like her new neighbors!

EDIT: I'm sorry ibu, but the deterioration of the community would NOT be grounds to break the lease. Landlords are not legally responsible for crime in the area. You cannot break a lease due to not feeling safe or anything like that. It may not seem fair, but it is legal.

No lawyer can get her out of it. Don't waste your money trying to rewrite landlord/ tenant law.

Source(s): I'm a property manager
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

No recourse.

This is none of your daughters business, she should never be informed of the section 8 status of the residents. Doing so violates their privacy rights.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.