promotion image of download ymail app
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceSpecial Education · 1 decade ago

what can i do now to become....?

what can i do at 14 to become a special education teacher

i help out with my autistic cousin and ever since she was diagnosed i wanted to be that kind of teacher. any tips?

3 Answers

  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    Hi, I teach young people with learning disabilities. It sounds like you are doing all the right things so far. Maybe see if you can do some related voluntary work and work experience. Read as many books on the subject as possible. Work hard at school and get as many GCSEs and A levels as possible. Look at doing relevant GCSE subjects such as health and social care and Home economics in addition to English, maths and science. you will need a degree and a PG CE if you wish to work in a special school or as a SENCO in a primary or Secondary school. If you would like to work in the life long learning sector- with young people aged 14 and above- there is a teacher training course you can take at local colleges on a part time basis- have a look on your local college website. Good luck to you.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

    To become an Intervention Specialist (special education teacher) you are required to have 4 years in college with a major in Intervention OR have an education degree and get your masters in Intervention. Start thinking now of what type of intervention you would like to teach. Mild/Moderate (typically students with learning disabilities) Moderate/Intensive (students with cognitive disabilities, autism, emotional disturbances, etc.).

    So what to do now, ask your school if you can volunteer at an elementary tutoring struggling readers or working in a multiple disabilities classroom. Understand, that while being an Intervention Specialist is a wonderful job there are many things behind the scenes that are not as fun (a lot of paperwork). Though, don't worry about that right now, just spend some time with children with special needs and decide if that is something you enjoy.

    Source(s): Intervention Specialist
    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

    good on u, the best way is through connections which is a service to help u choose career paths and what u need to get there. There's a link below it might help

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.