Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 1 decade ago

My friend told me that many Americans wanted to join the Axis side during WW2 is that true?

I knew Americans were racist but I never knew they were this bad!

From now on I will call myself Dutch (I have Dutch ancestry) and not American!

Best Answer

This is true - to a degree.

When Hitler declared that all true "Deutsche Volke" should return to the Fatherland in the late 1930's, many Americans of German ancestry readily applied and consequently ended up fighting within the ranks of Wehrmacht against the Allies. The same could also be said of some of Italian descent who fought for Mussolini and many Canadians and ANZAC'S who signed up to help defend Britain.

However, many within the US business community and government were not sorry to see the opportunities that would arise from the possible defeat of Britain whose Empire was the largest and had for over half a century prevented US business growth abroad since the British already had their hands on, or interests in, anything of value. There was a deep distrust of Britain within certain circles and therefore there was an opinion that Hitler might be doing them a good turn. Examples include Senator Prescott Bush (grandfather of ex-President George W.) who was a director and shareholder of companies that profited from their involvement with the financial backers of Nazi Germany and Henry Ford, the founder of the Ford Motor Company (and raging anti-semite) who supplied the materials for the Axis powers to build tanks and aircraft - which were later used against US troops.

Also the largest Nazi rally outside of Germany was held in Madison Square Garden.

Edit Are people aware of the Fact the Only reason Auschwitz was opened was because of Standard Oil

In 1940 Albert Speer told Hitler Germany will run out of fuel in 2 years ?

Standard Oil Gave Hitler the Plans and Formula's to make Synthetic Oil Fuel and Rubber and Auschwitz had the biggest coal reserves in Europe so a chemical factory was set up by I.G. Farben with paid workers to begin with later slave labour later as a concentration camp

In 1941, an investigation exposed a "marriage" cartel between John D. Rockefeller's United States-based Standard Oil Co. and I.G. Farben

People like Ford Rothschild's Prescott bush Linberg supported Hitler from about 1924 and by 1933 IBM Cocoa Cola GM Standard oil

all wanted to be on Hitlers side and some Financed his climb to Chancellor

and these people are responsible for WW2 remember no Hitler No WW2

read read the Links

http://rationalrevolution.net/war/american_support...

Well what you're friend said is partially true. At the time it wasn't a very large party, it never has, but it wanted to join the axis becuase well they're nazi's. the OVERULING majority of american's were opposed to the idea.

• Msean

I don't remember the name of the book, but it documents how American corporations supplied Germany during WWII. I believe AT&T was one of them.

Lindbergh was a Nazi sympathizer. It is said that Henry Ford was also, though he may have just been an isolationist, as was the majority of Americans before Pearl Harbor.

well you have to remember that during the war no one knew about the concentration camps or the brutality in germany at the time.

americans worked on a capitalist system, which hated communism. fascism - nazism - was the opposite of communism.

and americans saw that hitler had brought germany out of a massive depression.

so it was an attractive system, and america wanted to destroy communism as much as the nazis did.

there are plenty of other reasons not to want to call yourself american though

When Joseph Kennedy was US Ambassador in Britain he was a Nazi sympathiser and very anti-British. His son Edward took up the cudgel against the British when he "interfered" in Irish affairs.

alot of americans did support the nazis idea such as walt disney and henry ford who gave larg somes of money to the nazi party however i very much dougt that any people in america in a position of power such as a polotition would hav supported the nazis however there could hav been a select few

I agree with the first half of what Nicole said but not the last part, there is NO REASON why you should not call yourself American, you should be proud to be an American

yes there were a lot of americans who belonged to the american nazi bund

Well you can bet they weren't going to join the war at all until the Japanese bombed them!