What to do in San Francisco?

I'm planning a trip to San Francisco alone early October. Coming from Japan, and I have about 10 days there. Can you recommend things to do and see there? Any local ideas that I cannot find in guidebooks are much appreciated!!

Favorite Answer

GET THE San Franciso POPOUT Maps—

I loves these POPOUT map- you get to see where you are-

=) No Thinking required, especially on vacation. (look at the picture.)

I have about 20 of these map of different cities.. It was so useful when I was in Europe!

Ferry Building

Pier 39

Alcatraz or Angel Island

Japan town

Lombard Street

Chinatown

Coit Tower

Fishermen's Wharf

Union Square for Shopping

Golden Gate Park – Walk across the bridge

Academy of Science

Union Street

Ocean Beach

Exploratorium

Palace of Fine Arts

San Francisco Zoo

Westfield Shopping Centre

DeYoung Museum

Yerba Buena Gardens

SF Giants Fair at AT&T Park

Take the ferry to Tiburon or Sausalito

Segates are great way to travel around the city.

*_~ Unique places in San Francisco

Must be Open minded and bring your camera for tons of pics.!! We always bring our guest from out of town to these places. Have early dinner at Asia SF about 6pm and then a show at Beach Blanket Babylon.. They loved it and never forget SF.

For half price shows/comedy/sports etc.. Try www.goldstar.com

Academy of Science during the night time- $10 buy ticket in advance.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/pho-garden-san-f%E2%80%A6 - Try the pho challenge

http://sf.backpage.com/community/classif%E2%80%A6

Visit the Fortune Cookie Factory in Chinatown. I enjoyed visiting The Herbal Shop. There are many good restaurants in Chinatown and the Dim Sum is fantastic.

The Japanese Tea Gardens in Golden Gate Park are lovely. Ride on a cable car (it's fun!) Drive down the crookedest street in the world, Lombard Street. If you want a good picture of the Golden Gate Bridge, go to China Beach.

In Japantown, visit White Crane Tea Company at Nijiya Market. They sell some delicious teas. Japan Center has some interesting malls. The Peace Pagoda is right outside of the mall. Japantown has an excellent International Art Gallery which is worth exploring. The restaurants in Japantown have authentic Japanese food. You'll feel very much at home there.

More places to visit are Alcatraz, Angel Island, Fisherman's Wharf, Pier 39, The Embarcadero, Coit Tower observation deck (has beautiful views of San Francisco), The San Francisco Zoo, take a sightseeing cruise on San Francisco Bay and go under the Golden Gate Bridge, and Muir Woods.

Have fun! San Francisco is a wonderful city!

Source(s): Visited San Francisco