Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 1 decade ago

Bipolar - Psychiatrist or Psychologist?

I think I am bipolar. Should I make an appointment with a psychiatrist or a psychologist?

I know that a psychiatrist can prescribe medicine, and a psychologist can provide therapy. Which is a better choice?

Favorite Answer

Psychiatrist is still a doctor - unfortunately - and can give you pills, electroshock or brain surgery which are the only methods psychiatry uses. Brain surgeries like prefrontal lobotomy found its place in horror movies where it belongs and is disappearing from psychiatry. Electroshocks are still being given to the people despite no results and serious damage caused to the patients. Modern psychiatry focuses on drugs. Psychiatrists prescribed LSD and ecstasy as medicine in the past and their modern drugs are said to be even more dangerous. Some psychiatrists however may be using alternative methods or psychology but that is not psychiatry. Psychiatry has been using 1) brain surgeries 2) shocks (not only electroshocks but also insulin shocks) 3) drugs. I wouldn’t play with psychiatry at all - see the vids below.

A must see new document - story told by psychiatrists, psychologists and other professionals - it CAN save your life

Watch trailer 1:55 min

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UV0J5EsYKuw

Youtube thumbnail

The whole DVD

http://www.cchr.org/#/videos/making-a-killing-intr...

school

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAeABmVOS0s

Youtube thumbnail

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSZ9YTnSkLc

Youtube thumbnail

Fox News about pharmaceutical company Eli Lilly (Prozac, Zyprexa and others)

3:36 min

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_iXApBeT5s

Youtube thumbnail

&feature=channel_page

the two could desire to be lined via your coverage as long as your coverage covers psychological wellbeing, you will could desire to call your coverage and ask them. incredibly you % the two a psychiatrist and a psychologist. The psychiatrist to manage your meds, you do no longer want a ordinary surgeon to try this because of fact the psychiatrist has plenty extra adventure with psych meds. And the psychologist to instruct you coping suggestions and that can assist you you thru any disaster. I even have Bipolar a million and characteristic a psychiatrist I see as quickly as each 3 months for a med examine and a psychologist I see two times a month.

A psychiatrist is the diagnostician. I'm sure an experienced therapist can make a reasonable guess about a diagnosis, but they aren't certified to do this.

I would start with your family doctor. Write down your symptoms and ask if they suggest a psychiatrist. Maybe the will give you a referral.

Bipolar disorder is manageable in most instances, and therapy can help us learn some valuable coping skills, and to think about things differently. Therapy does work when we work it. Without putting effort into it, it's not worth going to.

Start with a psychologist, he will do the diagnosis and refer you to a psychiatrist if he thinks meds are necessary.

People confuse mood with emotion..... mood affects everything about you. Your energy level, sleep patterns, appetite, emotional response (which emotions you feel and how strongly), your judgment, sexual appetite, etc....... Bipolar is not about being happy one minute then sad the next then mad, that is just having emotions..... The mood swings in Bipolar last a very long time, weeks to months to years and the average Bipolar only swings once or twice a year.

People never never understand the true severity of bipolar disorder. They also do not understand that for an "episode" to be considered Bipolar it has to last all day every day for a week....... That's the minimum, in reality the episodes last for weeks or months or even years. There are cases where a person can have more than one or two episodes a year but it is really rare. Also you HAVE TO HAVE the mania (or hypomania) for it to be bipolar. Without mania it is just recurring depression.

The mood swings in Bipolar do not usually have a trigger. They come and go very randomly...... If someone with Bipolar is depressed or manic there is nothing you can do to bring them out of their mood short of medication.....

This is what Bipolar is like for me.

Depression- to tired to get out of bed, shower, brush your teeth..... lie in bed and stare at the ceiling for days at a time, crying a lot, feelings of guilt, and self loathing, may be suicidal but are too tired to even consider planning it, sleep 16 hours a day or more, eating too much or not enough.

Manic - over the moon happy, hypersexual (like masturbating 10 times a day or sleeping with numerous men, strangers, your cousin.......decide you are bi because then there are twice as many people to have sex with, decide you are into BDSM and contract to be someones slave for a week), spending your mortgage money on african violets (or some other useless things), driving your car 120 mph, grandiose thoughts (like thinking you can put a new furnace in your house by yourself, or tearing the sideing of the house because youcan put ip new stuff by yourself with a hammer and a hacksaw), quitting your job because you are buying lottery tickets with your last paycheck and you know you will win...... only sleep 2 or 3 hours a night and feel completely rested, can't concentrate, racing thoughts (it sounds like 50 people in your head all talking at the same time), talk really fast and loud because your mouth can't keep up with our mind.

Both. Hopefully you're not like me. I'm terrified of therapist so I don't say anything. But I am bipolar I had to take a mental health thing given to me by my psych. Therapy along with meds is great because a lot of people have trouble dealing with taking medicine for the rest of their lives, like me. Sadly I cant talk about it because I'm afraid of the people that are there for me to talk to.

Anyway, both are great but a therapist is a great start.

Source(s): Experience
  • LA

I think a psychologist should be the first approach. Not only are they normally cheaper, but that way, you can address the root of the problem instead of just the symptoms.

You should start with both. I myself was diognosed With bi polar ealier this year because my symtoms really kick in gear. I'm almost 50 & if I wouldn't have taken care of it a lot of things would have happened that I could have regretted for the rest of my life. There will be a lot of trials & errors. Once your on the med, don't stop taking them

Neither. You need to consult your regular doctor first. You cant just go and get medicine anyway. You should go to your doctor and tell him how you are feeling and then go from there. it could turn out you' dont have anything wrong with you at all. Also most people who are bipolar dont admit to having something wrong with them. check it out though and good luck

psychiatriast first to confirm diagmnosis and prescribe mood stabiliser then psychologist to help you develop ways of coping