Which is the most correct book--the Bible or the Book of Mormon?

A prophet has given us the answer. But you can figure it out if you consider how many scribes and translators have been involved in producing the Bible.

Best Answer

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the Bible predate the Book of Mormon by several thousand years? I believe Moses is attributed as being the compiler of the first five books of the Old Testament (the Pentateuch) some 1,400 years before Jesus came to earth. Oh, and God is the author of the Bible, and God has preserved his holy and inspired Word throughout the centuries. If it isn't in the Bible, my friend, it isn't worth the paper (or tablets or scrolls) it's written on.

Furthermore, it is not possible for one book to be 'more correct' than another book when it comes to God's divinely inspired Word. It is either from God or it is from men who have been deceived by the father of lies.

• Maude

The introduction says it is the "most correct book" not that it is perfect, or that we should ignore other books, or (heaven forbid) revelations from Jesus Christ. In fact to believe the book to be perfect would be to ignore many of the authors who plead with readers to forgive their weaknesses. Some major Mormon teachings are not missing from the book. You will find excessive references to baptism, temples, the character of God, etc. Changes to the Book are mostly grammatical and unlike the bible the original transcript (1830's printing) is still available for comparison. As far as the bible being edited, go to a Christian book store look at the excessive number of study bibles and tell me which bible hasn't been edited? The King James Version isn't the original, the Tyndale isn't the original, the Vulgate isn't the original, the Hebrew and Greek while being the oldest available to the Christian world are not contemporary with their original authors.

• enero

Have you check the translations of the book of abraham?

Did you know the original papiri are in the church hands?

Go check this video out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcyzkd_m6KE

Youtube thumbnail

and after that will see if you still think Joseph Smith is a true prophet, seer and revelator.

if the BofM is the "most correct book in the world", what about the more than 3000 changes made, since it's first publication?

I know that a question like this open a lot of stores of the past and are Heavnly Father new that would happen. Just one of many teaching of the Bible is in (King James Version)James Chapter 1; 5-6. I believe in the Bible so far as it is writen (must know the history) I know the history of The Book of Mormon and Bible I pray for that understaning. You are only responsible for your salvation and if you live by others. I pray for you. Thank you for that great question. Yes! Live by it precept. G

Source(s): The Miracle of Forgiveness By Spencer W. kimball

This is seriously a loaded question.

I've read both. Both carry God's word within both texts. The Book of Mormon is intriguing as it holds a translation that was translated using a lot of New Testament Greek terminology. Does this make it any less valid? Nope. It just makes it easier for a Christian audience to understand. God works that way to help us to understand scripture.

The Bible is a true book and despite the fact that few of us know the source languages, Greek and Hebrew that they were written from, doesn't detract that the Bible helps us understand God's word. It stands together with the Book of Mormon as a witness of the truth. I can't see the Bible working without the Book of Mormon or the Book of Mormon working without the Bible. We need both the stick of Ephraim and the stick of Judah in order to appreciate and use both. They are both correct books in my mind and help uplift and support each other.

Source(s): LDS

why are you asking this question? Just wondering since all the LDS will say one and other Christians another and atheists neither and its just a insult fest.

@wispy, the question isnt which is "better" but "most correct" the bible has a LONG history of correction, translation, etc wherease the Book of Mormon was translated ONCE by the Spirit of God through his holy Prophet. ANY and yes even ALL Latterday Saints should be able to answer this with Book of Mormon.

Joseph Smith said:

“I told the brethren that the Book of Mormon was the most correct of any book on earth, and the keystone of our religion, and a man would get nearer to God by abiding by its precepts, than by any other book.” (History of the Church, 4:461.)

We value and treasure the Bible, it is a companion to the Book of Mormon, but as far as CORRECTNESS goes, we even have the JST on the bible.

LOL

according to the prophet joseph smith jr. it was trranslated by the gift and power of translation from God, through the Urrum and Thummim, which exists in the bible itself.

according to christians, the bible never lost its perfection and infalibility because of the power of God and they often cite the book of isaiah which had 3 or 4 authors, allegedly after isaiah died.

but with the book of mormon there is even a disclaimer!

if there be any mistakes, it is because of man.

Why would u ask this question?

These are common answers:

Athiest: Neither, they both are false.

Christian: The Bible

Mormon: The book of mormon. (also the bible as far as it is translated correctly)

Source(s): LDS

For the sake of those who do not understand our point of view...

"We believe the Bible to be the word of God as far as it is translated correctly. We also believe the Book of Mormon to be the word of God."

Articles of Faith

Joseph Smith

In my opinion, neither book is "correct" if, by that, you mean the literal be all and end all of how to live your life and what to believe. Before criticizing the religious texts of others, think about the kind of closed system that was used to write the Book of Mormon.

Anyone can start a religion. Look at Scientology. Started by a science fiction writer who said, in an early interview, that a smart person would start a religion if he really wanted to make money. Guess he was pretty smart. Ha!! : D