20 y/o car, mechanically sound, how to sell for true value est. $2900?

When an owner takes good care of their vehicle by maintaining the important parts in good working condition but the car is an older model, the only true way of valuing the car is by how much money was invested in the car to keep it running. Selling it to a junk yard for say $100 is not appropriate. The car did not die. It works. And would probably be a good starter car for a someone first starting to drive. Or someone who doesn't want to take out a car loan. The auto repair industry is huge and good mechanics can keep a car running for fifty years, ok how about thirty. The point is simply this: Selling on Craigs List or Auto Trader puts the car up against newer older cars. So, how can you get the car more issolated for the kind of buyers who would appreciate a good offer?

• John T
    Favorite Answer

Your logic is impeccable.

Your conclusion is totally wrong.

The "true" value of anything is what value others put on it.

Diamonds are just shiny rocks....they have value because someone is willing to pay dearly for them.

I have been a car owner/repairer/restorer for many years. Unless you own something collectable(first generation Camaro/Mustang/Mopar, etc.) You almost never get your investment back on an auto.

That is the reason you must use your impeccable logic the next time you decide to put money into an auto. The idea that I'll fix this and that and then sell the car almost always loses money. Besides, didn't you get years of service from the vehicle? Figure the yearly cost of ownwership and compare the same mileage/time to cab/bus rides. I think you'll be way ahead.

Autos are not an investment. They are transportation that wears out and needs replacing. Bite the bullet, lookup the "true" value in Bluebook, etc. and price accordingly.

You can also chalk it up to a lesson learned as you seem to have never sold a car before.

On the other hand, If you have the time, sooner or later someone will be willing to give you what you want for the car, or near it. I do mean time. I sat on a first generation Camaro for 12 years before someone finally gave me $500 less than I was asking.

These are the realities of dealing in autos.

Hope this helps-JT

Source(s): Many years;many cars

I'm not sure what kind of car it is or what kind of shape the rest of the vehicle is in, but work put into a car does not necessarily determine how much a car is worth.

I could have a rusted out car w/ 250,000 miles on it that is realistically worth $500 and put in a $1000 transmission, but it doesn't mean I'm going to get $1500 for the car.

But back to the original question of how to isolate it - i guess the easiest way is to use your local classified ads in the paper, that being said there's someone somewhere looking for a make and model just like yours so you'll want to get it out in front of everyone. I'd suggest ebay or craigslist. Just be patient and someone will come along...unless you're asking too much for it.

No. The idea is that drinks shall be denser at shrink temperatures, nonetheless gasoline saved underground is at a horny steady temperature regardless of how sizzling or bloodless it's. If you needed to queue for two seconds considering the driving force in entrance had the identical concept you could have burnt extra gasoline than you stored if the idea used to be real!. Keep a mild proper foot and plan forward - you're going to store gasoline and feature a extra stress-free travel.

wanted ; car buyer for nice well maintained older car $29.00

use free adds post picture or use 3x5 cards at the local shops that allow.the recycler is a good place to post too.a for sale sign in the window or even get window chalk from the parts store.autozone.com is one.you pick.

Source(s): how much ? the type of car and year may be a big difference in your question.

type into search box

how to sale a used car

type into search box

year model for sale

wil find other cars of same for sale make your price same or lower want to sel it price it low and what you got invested is not whats its worth is go to ebay look for same car

I see what you are saying... But, somewhere, someone is looking for the same exact car you have... Trust me... I suggest Craigslist and Ebay... I hope this helps!!!

Id put in a local newspaper

http://talktoamechanic.blogspot.com/