Looking for a good "vespa" style moped "scooter" at or under 50cc?

I live in California and believe if i can get a vespa style moped or scooter that was 50cc or a little under i could get away with driving it without a license or "registration"

They get killer gas mileage and would be perfect for a commute even 50 miles away from my home, job searching, college, etc.

i'm just really looking for something under $800 out the door, you know?

I don't care if its honda or suzuki or namco.. lol 1-10k miles :P

Used or new, i'm a poor college student looking for cheap easy transportation :)

Update:

Thanks guys!

If went for a 150cc and got my m1 permit do you think that would work? and i live in a rural community so it is very easy to get 50 miles without seeing a highway :P

and 2 hours is a bit long, i was thinking more along the lines of 1 hour... but i didn't think of running a little engine to death XP that was stupid.

Update 2:

oh, and i am 2hours away from Sacramento and san francisco...

but about 8 hours from los angeles D:

but that bike did look decent, i'm just looking for a vespa style scooter to get my wife to ride along sometimes, maybe even learn to operate it :D

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Dimo J
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

First, you are wrong about licensing and registration.

A "vespa" style scooter is legally a motorcycle and needs to be registered for legal street use and you will need an M1 motorcycle license or endorsement on your class C license.

Second, a 50cc scooter has a top speed of about 35 mph. You have to stick to surface streets and with traffic and lights will be lucky to average 25 mph. A 50 mile jaunt will be a two hour ordeal with irate drivers brushing past you as you will be holding up traffic and causing a hazard. You will be wanting at least 200 cc to keep up with California traffic.

Third, you are required to have insurance. Assuming youth, new rider, $800 a year will be a bargain for insuring *anything.*

Finding a good running bike will be a task. But you can find some, such as: http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/mcy/134476628...

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

It would be absolutely hopeless for a 50-mile commute, 'cos it would take you an hour and 40 minutes - they can legally only travel at 30 mph. Furthermore, you would destroy it doing that kind of distance regularly; it would be run into the ground after a few thousand miles. Your attempt to save short-term will end up costing you more long-term. Wait and save for a 250, and get the right kind of license too.

• 4 years ago

Odd is an understatement. That was a loaded question. Clearly there is judgment involved on her part, so hers was a loaded comment. I would ask her "what does a person who likes 'black music' look like, anyway?" A follow up question: what do you mean, black music? Just rap, hip-hop, & r&b? There are great black musicians of every style---classical, folk, country, hey, you name it. If she means musical styles created within the black community, remember that those include jazz, blues, rock (many would argue in the early days), and soul, just to name a few African-America musical forms, but then remember, you have musical forms from Africa and the African diaspora, including in the Caribbean. I'm taking a guess that you weren't listening to jazz when she told you "you don't look like the kind of person that likes black music". And as a final point, the biggest demographic of mainstream hip-hop consumers is suburban white teenagers. So, there's some comments for her, for starters.

• Alf W
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

Check the Genuine Scooter Company. Their Buddy scooters are less than the Vespa line, but still over your price range. But prosperity is just around the corner...

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.