How should I wash newly tie dyed shirts? PLEASE READ DESCRIPTION!! (:?

I bought a tie dying kit, and im planning on using it tomorrow. I read the instructions and everything makes sense, except for one part. It says after making the shirt, let it set for 6-8 hours, and then wash in hottest water in the washer. This confused me because I read online in many places that you should NOT... show more I bought a tie dying kit, and im planning on using it tomorrow. I read the instructions and everything makes sense, except for one part. It says after making the shirt, let it set for 6-8 hours, and then wash in hottest water in the washer.
This confused me because I read online in many places that you should NOT wash in hot water, and some said that you should wash in cold water, and then hot water. WHICH ONE IS CORRECT?
also, im making 5 shirts, so is it okay to hand wash them? i just want to make sure that they are as vibrant as possible.