Can I legally sell a crocheted doll I made from a copyrighted pattern?

I bought a book on how to crochet little dolls and inside the front cover it says the patterns, projects, etc. included in the book are to be for personal use only and not for commercial. I wanted to make a doll from this book and try to sell it. Is that legal? I don't want to sell the pattern, just the end product, which I followed pretty close to the directions in the book. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Favorite Answer

It is illegal to use those patterns to make items for sale. That constitutes commercial use. Therefore, if you want to make and sell crocheted dolls, you have to invent your own pattern. And you'd better copyright your pattern or anyone could then copy it.

• Carol

Technically, no, you cannot. Although, crochet patterns are like recipes; change a couple ingredients and the recipe is your own design. If you have a handle on crochet patterns, try to alter the pattern to make it your own, and then you can sell the finished piece.