Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Has anyone else converted to Judaism?

I might think about it in the future as I am only 14 at the moment. Has anyone else converted to Judaism from Christianity or another religion..or no religion at all?

Please answer and share your experiance. :)

Ok, yeah I have researched, for a year actually!

And btw, You can convert to Judaism if you were not born a Jew. I wouldn't be asking this question if you couldn't.

also, this might seem very stupid, but can you be a Jew and still believe in Jesus?

Favorite Answer

I converted from agnosticism. My father was born Jewish in a strongly Orthodox family but left religion as soon as he could. My mother has no connection to Judaism. I really envy you the possibility of converting young and being able to spend a lifetime with Judaism - for me, it came late (in my 50s).

I loved the whole process of conversion, the studying and discussing and experiencing - and having the support and enthusiasm not only of other potential converts but of the whole synagogue community. Please feel free to ask any specific questions you may have - you will find all the Jews here on R&S will be more than happy to talk with you.

EDIT: Jesus has nothing whatsoever to do with Judaism, and we hold at the very core of our religion that G-d is one. So any belief in Jesus as a divine saviour is completely, totally, utterly outside Judaism. We find the notion of G-d become human quite abhorrent. The Jewish messiah is an entirely different sort of person from the Christian notion, 100% human and not a miracle worker, and Jesus couldn't have been our messiah because he didn't usher in an age of peace - a primary qualification. So if you have that sort of belief about Jesus, don't try to become a Jew - you'll be much happier finding a branch of Christianity that works for you. Of course, there's no problem if you simply think he might have been one of the many young Jews at the time who were rather radical and trying to make changes in Judaism.

Source(s): UK Reform Jew

I haven't converted yet, but I plan to in the next few years. I'm really excited, and I can't wait until I'm able too. I wish you the best of luck in your learning.

Edit: If you believe that Jesus was the Messiah or had any influence in Judaism, you can't be a Jew. Jews that believe in Jesus are no longer Jews, they're Christians.

I have discovered that both of my grandfathers were Jewish. I am very happy about this. I am processing, emotionally, what their families were going through in Europe in the 1920's and '30s to make them try to hide their Jewishness.

So, first I went to a Reform temple because I was in a rural place and it was the only one in my area. It was very difficult to get to, though.

I have just moved to a big city and I am about to start formal conversion classes in a Conservative congregation.

If you want to keep in touch, please feel free to send me messages.

My family, even my grandparents, never really had religion. My grandma had a tree at Xmas, but I was probably 12 or 13 before I knew about Jesus. My parents have both switched from one thing to another, not committing. I have been studying Judaism on my own since I found out about my Jewish heritage, and I finally feel spiritually at home.

Good luck.

• no. I am converting when I turn 18. I am 14 too! I am converting from christianity. well techincally. my family is christian but I live with my mom and she is agnostic.

and thats cool. do more reasearch! it helps! and don't listen to people saying that you can't ocnvert. and don't let people tell you otherwise.

and no. you cannot be Jewish if you believe in Jesus. The one main thing about Judaism is that Jesus was *not* the messiah. which means you can't worship him or anything. now there will be people telling you that you can be Jewish and still believe in Jesus. They are call Messianic Jews. But DO NOT listen to them. if you believe in Jesus you *cannot* be Jewish. and Messianic Jews aren't considered Jews. they kind of have a bad rep with Jews because they pretend to be Jewish and try and get Jews to convert to Messianic Judaism and be "saved". So no. if you believe in Jesus you can't be Jewish. You can follow a Jewish "lifestyle" I guess. But you will not be considered Jewish and No one will convert you.

http://whatjewsbelieve.org/ this site has the main beliefs.

http://www/Jewfaq.org read *all* of it. read everything on that site. it is very very informative. good luck! and I am adding you. we are on the same boat. email me if you want.

Source(s): future Jewish convert
  • Honestly, had I remained a monotheist, I most likely would have seriously pursued it. From a spiritual point of view, I've always found a certain resonance that Judaism has for me that the other Abrahamic paths do not. It's not something that I can really put my finger on though, if that makes any sense.

I would not convert now, as I am most definitely not a monotheist. I've found what works for me, and while I have utmost respect for Judaism, it's certainly not for me and I am not for it.

answer: I'm in the process of converting to Judaism. I was raised Christian but left that religion decades ago and found paganism. I've been going through the conversion process since September. There is a LOT to learn but I have LOVED it! There is a feeling of being overwhelmed when you look at the long history and all there is to learn but there's also a sense of comfort and especially a sense of excitement.

A website that is great for information from basics to indepth: http://www.jewfaq.org/index.htm

Source(s): converting to Reform Judaism added: No, you cannot, at all. The belief in a divine sacrificed savior is blasphemous in Judaism and NO rabbi would recommend someone to a rabbinical court if they hold Christian beliefs. Some argue that Jews who convert to Christianity (believe in Jesus) are still Jews but that's against the Tanakh and Judaism. They are outside of Judaism and not part of the religion or community. "Messianic Jews" are NOT Jewish.

No, but I am going to start the conversion process as soon as I turn 18 and am at university.

:)

ETA:

No , you cannot. Do not believe what Messianic 'Jews' say- they are Christians.

Jesus cannot fit into Judaism, not matter how you spin it.

Source(s): 15 years old, converting to Orthodox Judaism as soon as I can.

Jew by choice here following decades of agnosticism.

Fourteen is way too young to convert unless you have your parents' permission. Although, if you do have your parents' permission, you could get started on the Bar Mitzvah process, attending religious school on Sundays and weekday afternoons.

Above all, love and honor your parents -- one of those 613 commandments!

There's no hurry to convert. Find a Jewish community, introduce yourself, and participate!!!!!

.

I starred your post for some of my Jewish contacts on the West Coast of the US. Here it is still the Sabbath, and at least two of the converts I know of won't be back on their computers until after havdalah (the sunset service on Saturdays that marks the end of the Sabbath). Good luck.

Edit: You can certainly believe a man named Jesus existed. You can even believe that some of things attributed to him are good ideas. I, myself, am very fond of quoting Matthew 7:1 - 12. However, you cannot believe he was the son of God. And you certainly can't believe that he was one of three persons of God, co-equal with God. One of the primary Jewish prayers is the Shema Yisrael -- "Hear O Israel, the Lord our God, the Lord is One", ONE, singular and unique, being the operative term for most Jews.

• I'm actually thinking about it...and everyone in my church knows it! I've been to temple and I like the religion.