Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelUnited StatesSeattle · 1 decade ago

do you live in or know a lot about seattle, wa? if so PLEASE HELP!?

i reside in San Antonio, Tx and want to move to Seattle, WA. Could you give me the scoop on seattle? what areas should i look to reside in, what areas should i avoid? i plan on transferring my job over there and i'm giving myself at least a year to get ready and hopefully move up there by June. I really don't mind traffic, actually i'm use to it. I don't mind driving distance to get to wherever it is i need to get (do it a lot here in sa, tx). If i'm missing out on something i need to ask please feel free to fill me in. Yeah, yeah i hear it rains a lot. It floods here in san antonio, tx. i would take it over 103 summers (which lasts till november).

• Tori
    Best Answer

I've lived in Seattle for my entire life and I've visited San Antonio several times. They are very different, so if you move to Seattle, you will soon realize that you aren't in San Antonio any more!

It's difficult to give an answer about where you should live without knowing more about your preferences. The city is quite sprawled out and made up of many different neighborhoods that all have their own individual character.

The housing inside the city limits is pretty expensive.

Expect to pay $700+ rent per month for a one bedroom apartment. The closer to the city center the more expensive the parking - $10-$20 per day in the downtown area.

The housing in the neighborhoods further away from the city and in the surrounding suburbs is somewhat less expensive and the parking is usually free and much more plentiful..

East of Lake Wasthington are the communities of Bellevue, Kirkland. Sammamish, Issaquah, Redmond, collectively referred to as "the East side". This area is the home of companies like Microsoft and Nintendo and the homes are mostly newer, upscale.and about as expensive as living in the city. The parking situation is better

The distances aren't really that far, but traffic can be very congested since due to the topography of the land and shape of the city (long from north to south and narrow from east to west) there are many bridges and only a few major freeways and highways. If you live in a neighborhood further away from the city or in the suburbs and need to commute into the city it is best to forget driving and use public transportation if you possibly can.

The weather: This year a record high temp of 103 was hit on one day. Most days in the summer hit a high in the 70s or 80s and summer often doesn't start until mid-July and ends in September.

It doesn't snow much in the winter - maybe 7-10 days usually and snow usually only stays a few days or less and melts when the rain returns.

It can drizzle and drip for days, weeks or months without stopping - not like the downpours in Texas where it rains 10 inches in 24 hours and then the sun comes out.. There have been winters/springs that it has rained every single day for over 3 months.

Compared to people in Texas, you will probably generally find the people in Seattle much more liberal in their politics, not nearly as religious and polite and helpful but not really friendly. They do not invite new people into their social circle very readily. To make friends you will probably need to sign up for an organized activity like a sports team, a class or participate/volunteer with some other organization that shares your interests and be prepared to be the one to repeatedly each out to invite others to go to dinner, a movie or some other activity. To see what I'm trying to explain google "Seattle Chill"

To the dude above: Olympia is the capital, durr...

Seattle is a pretty sprawling city, and so there are dozens and dozens of different neighborhoods, each of which have a remarkably distinct flavor and feel.

If you want a good-old fashioned neighborhood, try Maple Leaf... want a cosmopolitan singles community? Capital Hill or Belltown. Bohemian? Fremont. Tons of areas to choose from.

The traffic here is not bad, at all. People will complain and cry about it being horrible; I can get from North Seattle to Downtown in fifteen minutes during rush hour. When I lived in LA, getting from Mid-Wilshire to Downtown or the West Side took at least an hour and fifteen minutes. The busses here are great.

It's not the rain - there are rainier cities than Seattle - it's more the grey. You have to cope with almost uniformly-grey skies from October to April, and at the peak of the winter, it gets light around 9-10am, and dark around 2/3pm. The flipside, of course, is that in the peak of the summer, it gets light at about 4am, and doesn't get dark until almost 10pm.

• Lily

Ignore the previous poster. Seattle is not the capitol of Washington. Seattle is a great city. It does rain, but you get used to it pretty quickly. Seattle has a good bus system. Lake Washington and Lake Union are both very pricey, but gorgeous places to live/spend time.

I know Seattle is a capital of washington state