Why is newtons law of universal gravitation "universal"?

Why is newtons law of universal gravitation "universal"?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Because, no matter where you were to go, in the universe, the law has a possibility of occuring. If there's another planet, somewhere out in space, and it is spinning similar to how Earth is; then it will have gravity. This is referred to as "Gravitational Pull", when you are not on the planet. When you are on the planet, gravity merely makes things get pulled to the center of its creational force.

Gravity can be created. Thus it is universal, in the sense that I could go out into the universe somewhere, and make something that creates a gravitational pull...

The whole bit about Einstein is also a theory which ties into this, and actually changes the idea of "gravity". But, that's not what you were asking...

Source(s): Death is certain... Life is not...
  • 1 decade ago

On the century when Newton lived, everybody believed there was one set of laws for objects here on earth, and a different set of laws for celestial bodies. Newton came to understand that his law of gravitation applied in both domains, therefore the word universal was added to the name, to emphasize this aspect.

• 1 decade ago

I'm not sure but i think its because it takes into account gravitation acceleration as a continuous value rather than a constant

But i'm not sure i only got a C in physics :P

Source(s): Myself
  • 1 decade ago

Because it occurs at all times, with all things, all over the universe.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Because it works the same way anywhere in the universe.

• 1 decade ago

No, it doesn't even apply to Earth. Einstein theorized gravity is a bending of space time and he was proven correct overturning Newton.

• Naguru
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

It is a part and parcel of the law.

Source(s): 0wn
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.