Why have Americans become SO obsessed with the word 'socialism'?

OK, almost every time an American mentions a country in Europe he/she seems to think that calling it 'socialised' is a condemning thing. I don't really understand Americans because you all seem to want 'change'... whilst changing nothing... So what does change mean? I've witnessed huge... show more OK, almost every time an American mentions a country in Europe he/she seems to think that calling it 'socialised' is a condemning thing. I don't really understand Americans because you all seem to want 'change'... whilst changing nothing... So what does change mean? I've witnessed huge volumes of Americans throwing the word socialism at me & others but what do you know of it?

If you Americans don't actually want your country to change then that's fine, but then why do you insist on telling me what is wrong with my country? Are you all media slaves or something?

Generally I have nothing against the USA, but the USA does seem to have problems with the rest of the world... & that'll be you downfall.
Update: If Americans don't want what you would describe as socialism then fair enough, if you do then again fair enough, but then why do some of you guys find it neccessary to insult other countries who are perfectly happy with their systems?
Update 2: u_bin_called: But wouldn't it be fair to say that the USA's car industry is weaker than Japans despite Japan being socialized? I'm on a Toshiba laptop, watching a Sony television & will be driving an Audi tomorrow. So it's not like our economies have failed is it?