promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthAlternative Medicine · 1 decade ago

Which has more side effects man-made drugs or herbs?

I wonder if our body can live without live enzymes, vitamins, minerals

and are drugs superior to herbs?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • janie
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

unequivocally drugs and doctor errors are way less safe than herbs..many studies bear this out..

Medical errors are the number 3 killer and only about a dozen or two deaths are attributed to herbs a year compared to hundreds of thousands of medical error death and drug related deaths not to even mention the many dangerous and sometimes life altering bad side effects from drugs.

See my links below on the incidences of medical related deaths compared to herbs which are very safe if one is aware of precautions

Living without enzymes and other nutrients will produce death and sickness eventually.

They say without the enzymes we get from raw and plant foods, we will use us our lifetime supply too early and die earlier.

I personally do not feel drugs are superior although they may act quicker they have many and often very serious side effects. Listen to side effects on these drugs they advertise on tv....and they only lists a fraction the ones in medical pharmaceutical books. Scary stuff and drugs live in far greater numbers.

Herbs, if you know what you are doing, are much safer.

Medical errors and drugs kill and harm far, far more people than herbs; unfortunately, the papers like to hyperfocus on the few deaths herbs cause and gloss over the many people killed in hospitals.

Someone I know just had their mother in law go into the hospital for something relatively minor, get a staph infection and die..she told me she read medical mistakes cause about 200,000 deaths a year in the us alone.

I remember my mom telling me about her priest who went to the hospital for a simple surgery on his knees, got a staph infection too, and lost his leg and then died form it...yeah real safe..hospitals..

just from medical errors in hospitals about 195,000 people died in the us when the study took place in 2000-2003

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/11856.php

here we see 225,000 deaths from Iatrogenic causes making it the #3 killer

The JOURNAL of the AMERICAN MEDICAL ASSOCIATION (JAMA) Vol 284, No 4, July 26th 2000 article written by Dr Barbara Starfield, MD, MPH, of the Johns Hopkins School of Hygiene and Public Health, shows that medical errors may be the third leading cause of death in the United States.

The report apparently shows there are 2,000 deaths/year from unnecessary surgery; 7000 deaths/year from medication errors in hospitals; 20,000 deaths/year from other errors in hospitals; 80,000 deaths/year from infections in hospitals; 106,000 deaths/year from non-error, adverse effects of medications - these total up to 225,000 deaths per year in the US from iatrogenic causes which ranks these deaths as the # 3 killer. Iatrogenic is a term used when a patient dies as a direct result of treatments by a physician, whether it is from misdiagnosis of the ailment or from adverse drug reactions used to treat the illness. (drug reactions are the most common cause).

taken from this link

here is more on it being the third leading cause of deaths

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive...

http://www.cancure.org/medical_errors.htm

to contrast this there were only 37 deaths from herbs primarily weight loss herbs like ephedra which I believe is no longer on thee market

http://www.thenhf.com/articles_27.htm

and death from medical errors etc continues to grow

http://www.star-telegram.com/238/story/1527943.htm...

http://search.yahoo.com/search?fr=ytff1-&p=deaths%...

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

Drugs are superior yet they have more side effects. This is because drugs can be produced to target a certain problem but at the same time half of what is said on drug commercials are lists of side effects. Herbs on the other hand usually dont target a single thing, but when they do theyre much better because theyre natural and dont have crazy side effects than those that were created by man. So if possible use herbs but if theyre not what ur looking for, then its drugs

• 1 decade ago

drugs get their effects from chemical compounds that can be found in a variety of sources, including herbs. drugs are superior to herbs because they focus on giving you that one chemical, instead of just giving you a whole batch of different chemicals, and its given in much higher amounts. in short you have to consume less drugs than you would herbs, and the effects will be a lot more specific.

for example, why by a box used for making blue berry muffins if you just need the blue berries, it makes more sense to buy blue berries on their own.

everything has side effects, if something makes claims to the contrary, that should be treated as a red flag. another red flag is the absurd idea that being natural automatically makes something better, poison ivy is all natural.

vitamins and minerals are specific chemicals that are needed by the body in order to maintain certain systems, you defiantly need those but if you have a balanced diet you don't need to supplement them with any sort of over the counter daily pills or anything like that.

enzymes are produced by the body, they essentially make chemical reactions possible, without enzymes there would be no life, that being said don't worry about eating enzymes, anything you eat will be broken down, you body will make its own enzymes.

• 1 decade ago

Modern drugs are derived from herbs and natural compounds.. and no your body can not live without vitamins and enzymes and minerals

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Abuse intake of a man made drugs can have a greater side effects compare to herbs like marijuana. Addiction to either of two can be risky to ones health. Drug rehabilitation treatment is recommended for those who are in severe drug addiction.

• 1 decade ago

Man-made drugs have more side effects, of course. I would say to save a life quickly, drugs might be a better option; however, to maintain health and the immune system, supplements made from naturally derived, non-GMO, organic nutrients as well as a healthy lifestyle are going to be a much better choice.

Edit: Awesome answer, Janie... and I definitely agree with everything that you said.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Herbal treatments are largely untested and thus their side effects are not completely known. Also, they are subject to seasonal variations, quality variation and contamination. Pharmaceuticals are heavily tested and controlled. Side effects, safety, risks, interactions and contradictions are mostly known.

Anything that has an effect will have side effects, and herbs, typically handed out by people with no real medical training are more risky and dangerous than pharmaceuticals.

Medline has a large body of information drugs, supplements and herbs, all alphabetically listed:

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginformation...

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

It depends on what drug and what herb you are comparing. IN general, man-made drugs are safer because we know exactly whats in them and what they do while herbs contains a plethora of chemicals. As far as medicine goes, drugs are far superior to herbs. Most herbal "medicines" don't do what they claim but thanks to years of bending the rules of advertising, people still buy them and contribute to a multi-billion dollar SCAM.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.