I want a tattoo, FDA question?

Hi, I'm thinking of getting a tattoo (please don't start with the whole: it's ugly!, you can't remove them!, it gets wrinkly when youre old!?) because i don't care) I need help i want to know what it means to have FDA approved ink and what happens if the ink is NOT approved. Please explain to me in detail, thanks! Easy 10 pts.

Favorite Answer

Well, I may not take this one home, but, tattoo inks are not regulated by the FDA, being neither food nor drugs. However they are put into the body, and, if I'm not wrong, the 'FDA approved' pigments are organic, and have no heavy metals or toxins in them. I've never used them, and have heard that the colors lack some of the intensity and brilliance of the standard 'good' inks, like Eternal, Intenze, Starbrite, Skin Candy, etc.

Source(s): I'm a professional tattoo artist, 7 yrs.

The FDA has no jurisdiction over tattoo inks. no tattoo ink is FDA approved yet but they are assumed to be healthy for the skin but make sure you get a good brand of ink and not some cheap stuff with loads of chemicals.

I got the following statement from the website URL : http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/uc...

Tattoo Tips for Consumers

Ink:

* FDA has not approved any tattoo pigments for injection into the skin. This applies to all tattoo pigments, including those used for ultraviolet (UV) and glow-in-the-dark tattoos. Many pigments used in tattoo inks are industrial-grade colors suitable for printers' ink or automobile paint.

• Sharon

No it isn't and it isn't regulated either. Tattoo ink is made from a myriad of substances, some synthetic. Black is carbon based and the body handles it well. Reds are often the cause of allergic reactions, but the body usually handles a touch up well. This is why you need an experienced and established tattoo artist, that knows their inks and how well they hold up over time. Also, the inks will be of a higher quality at a licensed and reputable shop, then at the guy down the street in his garage. You don't want to go bargain shopping! luck~

i never heard of an FDA approved tattoo ink