What is the name of this classic movie?

I can't for the life of me remember this classic movie. I watched it on TCM (black and white) a few years ago. Any help would be appreciated!

Here's the synopsis:

It's a romance/romantic comedy.

A young woman can't afford to pay for her room anymore, and agrees to share it with a man she'll never meet. One gets it in the day, the other at night.

Somehow, they meet in real life, but don't know they're roommates, and either hate each other in person, or only hate their roommate selves. Either way, they fall in love, find out the truth, and eventually reconcile.

MystMoon: That sounds like a great movie, and one I'm definitely going to watch -- I've seen the Cary Grant one! Loved it!

However, it's not the one I'm thinking of. In the movie I can't remember the title of -- the man and woman never know they are roommates. And the apartment is actually far more like a room. There's only one bed which they share (at different times of the day). There's also no nosey third roommate.

Favorite Answer

The More the Merrier (1943)

starring Jean Arthur, Joel McCrea, Charles Coburn, Bruce Bennett

IMDb synopsis:

In Washington, D.C., during World War II, Connie Milligan does her part to ease the housing shortage by renting out half of her two-bedroom apartment. Looking for a female roommate, she instead rents it to elderly Benjamin Dingle, who finagles his way into Connie's apartment. Benjamin is in town on a short term business trip. The two have a rough start due to their differing personalities - she highly regimented, he seemingly forgetful and overly nosy - but things between them get worse when Benjamin rents out half of his half to Sgt. Joe Carter, who is also looking for short term housing before he gets shipped overseas. Because of the possible look of impropriety, Connie tells no one of her new roommates, especially to her fiancé of 22 months, Charles J. Pendergast, who is a business associate of Benjamin's and who is most concerned about his advancing career path. The wily Benjamin, seeing what is happening around him, does whatever he can to push Connie and Joe together, he who knows that the two are falling in love with each other.

NOTE: I watched it when it ran on TCM, too! What a great channel that is! I'm watching "Ladies in Retirement" (1941)right now.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This was remade as "Walk Don't Run" (1966), starring Cary Grant, Samantha Eggar and Jim Hutton in the lead roles and set during the Olympics in Tokyo.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0061170/

If it extremely is the plot its Imitation of life. (1934) Bea Pullman and her daughter Jessie have had a complicated time making ends meet because Beas husband died. help is available interior the kind of Delilah Johnson, who's of an identical opinion to paintings as Beas housekeeper in replace for a room for herself and her daughter Peola. Bea comes up with a plan to industry Delilahs pancake recipe. the two quickly exchange into wealthy and since the years bypass on, their friendship deepens. Their relationships with their daughters, besides the undeniable fact that, exchange into strained. Ashamed of her mom, Peola seeks a clean life by using passing for white. Beas love for her daughter is examined while she and Jessie fall for the comparable guy.

I watch quite a bit of TCM, but that doesn't sound familiar. Sorry I couldn't be of help.

• Wavy

brokeback mountain