Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social ScienceSociology · 1 decade ago

A few quotes referring to the height of a woman and her attractiveness?

Wikipedia Article on Physical Attractiveness.

---------> "Most males exhibit a preference for females of shorter physical stature than themselves.[40][41] Women .7 to 1.7 standard deviations below the mean in height are the most reproductively successful. One possible explanation is that shorter females may reach sexual maturity earlier than their taller counterparts. An alternative explanation is that since most men demonstrate a preference for women shorter than themselves, being shorter allows a woman access to a larger potential dating pool.[40]"

Forum debate on Daily Blog, titled, "Daily Blog: Tall vs. Short Women."

--------------> We think it's safe to say that most men don't want their women towering over them and will likely feel more attracted to a woman who is shorter and smaller than them. However, is this because we like to feel empowered? Or simply because smaller is sexier? And if you do decide to date a taller woman, would you prefer she didn't wear high heels to promote her height?

I want your opinion. I'm not really interested in answers like, "Well I kinda think it matters, but not really, but you know I kinda don't want someone shorter than me, but it kinda doesn't matter at all." No. I want a straightforward opinion and a comment at the end.

If height does NOT matter whatsoever, and it doesn't cross your mind, then just put OTHER and your comment

Yes. I'm taking a survey. xD

Best Answer

I am 5'8". I prefer women who are about the same height or shorter than me. What's strange is that I would like to be taller and I would like my future son(s) to be taller. So it would really make more sense to choose a tall mate with genes that will produce a son who is tall. And yet I'm attracted to short women.

"Most males exhibit a preference for females of shorter physical stature than themselves."

I don't see how this could be mistaken. It's seems true in all western countries and it even seems true across cultures.

Now, explanations are not as clear cut. Saying that shorter women reach maturity earlier than taller ones might explain a higher reproductive rate because of a wider fertility period, but it says nothing about male preference for shorter women than themselves nor, as Pam said, the preference of women for taller men.

Then, as Karin said, taller women usually exhibit larger legs which also seems to be a common attractive feature. But this might be derived from a proportionate body relationship, so small girls with the same leg-to-thorax ratio would be just as attractive as tall girls with long legs.

So behavior wise, do we feel empowered over shorter women and nos so in front of taller ones? Once again you leave aside the ability of women to choose their partner which is a common behavior amongst other mammals. So the flip side would be, do women need protection and thus prefer taller men?

It's a normal scenario to see a guy with his shorter girlfriend almost everywhere. I have a close guy friend who is really short compared to other guys around his age (He is about as short as I am!!! And mind you, he IS a playboy. But never once did he date a seriously beautiful girl who is taller than him even though the girl showing her like at him because.. he is somehow ashamed to go to the public with a taller girl and getting people attention. Yep. And IF the girl he dates is just as the same height as him, she HAD to wear FLAT slippers or sandal when they go out together. Come on. I just think he has lots of ego. *shrugs*

And tall woman is sexier. I guess there is no way the short girls are sexy cuz guys often said tall girls have sexier legs and so on. For myself, who is short and small, they somehow treat of me like a loly, kid. (Maybe short girl are cute? lol. Kidding!)

Source(s): life~~

It is usually the opposite.

Women like men that are somewhat taller so they can wear heels, etc. and not tower over the guy and make them look goofy.

Example: Tom Cruise (wears stuff inside of his shoes) to look taller