Can one bank freeze my funds in another bank?

I just found out I owe money from another bank (my ex wife opened it when we were married and over-drafted about $600) and they said they may be able to "hinder access to and the use of my funds held at other financial institutions". Can they really do this? BTW I live in Texas.

Best Answer

Anybody can freeze your funds in another bank if they have a claim and a court order against you.

You better believe they can freeze your funds. You have to remember that your SSN is on everything. Since it is on everything that is the way they are able to track you down. Your current bank can also charge you a fee for processing of the legal docs. It sounds like you are still getting paper work on this. Trust me set up some kind of payment plan with them. They can get your money without having to give you any further notice. You can have money in your account one day and the next it can all be gone. I work for a large bank and I see this happen all the time. I get customers all the time that complain saying that as a bank we should have protected their money. Truth is once we are served with legal papers, we have to follow them.

Source(s): Bank Associate

Absolutely

Yes they can do this, this is called a levy and is ordered by the court system.