Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingAdolescent · 1 decade ago

on average how many teenagers do drugs?

im doing a school project and i just need some stats on drugs. like how many teenagers do drugs how many teenagers die a year from drug overdose. thanks (:

Favorite Answer

What Is It?

Marijuana is a mixture of the dried and shredded leaves, stems, seeds, and flowers of the cannabis sativa plant. The mixture can be green, brown, or gray.

A bunch of leaves seem harmless, right? But think again. Marijuana has a chemical in it called delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol, better known as THC. A lot of other chemicals are found in marijuana, too—about 400 of them, many of which could affect on your health. But THC is the main psychoactive ingredient. [1] In fact, marijuana’s strength or potency is related to the amount of THC it contains. The THC content of marijuana has been increasing since the 1970s. For the year 2007, estimates from confiscated marijuana indicated about 8 percent THC on average.

What Are the Common Street Names?

There are many slang terms for marijuana that vary from city to city and from neighborhood to neighborhood. Some common names are: “pot,” “grass,” “herb,” “weed,” “Mary Jane,” “reefer,” “skunk,” “boom,” “gangster,” “kif,” “chronic,” and “ganja.” [2]

How Is It Used?

Marijuana is used in many ways. The most common method is smoking loose marijuana rolled into a cigarette called a “joint” or “nail.” Some users brew it as tea or mix it with food. Others smoke “blunts”-cigars hollowed out and filled with the drug. And sometimes marijuana is smoked through a water pipe called a “bong.” [2]

How Many Teens Use Marijuana?

Some people make the excuse that “everybody's doing it” when they start using marijuana. Well, they need to check the facts, because that’s not true. In 2007, 36 percent of 12th-graders had used marijuana within the past year. Visit http://www.drugabuse.gov/DrugPages/Marijuana.html for the latest information.

What Are the Common Effects?

For some people, smoking marijuana makes them feel good. Within minutes of inhaling, a user begins to feel “high,” or filled with pleasant sensations. THC triggers brain cells to release the chemical dopamine. Dopamine creates good feelings—for a short time. [3]

Imagine this: You're in a ball game, playing out in left field. An easy fly ball comes your way, and you’re psyched. When that ball lands in your glove your team will win, and you’ll be a hero. But, you’re a little off. The ball grazes your glove and hits dirt. So much for your dreams of glory.

Such loss of coordination can be caused by smoking marijuana. And that’s just one of its many negative effects. Marijuana affects memory, judgment, and perception. Under the influence of marijuana, you could fail to remember things you just learned, watch your grade point average drop, or crash a car. Some people may suffer sudden feelings of anxiety and have paranoid thoughts—which is more likely to happen when higher doses are used or when it is taken orally. The problem is that it’s difficult to tell what the effects of marijuana will be for any given person at any time, because they vary based on the person, their drug history, how much marijuana is taken, and its potency. Effects can also be unpredictable when other drugs are mixed with marijuana.

Also, since marijuana can affect judgment and decision making, using it can lead to risky sexual behavior, resulting in exposure to sexually transmitted diseases, like HIV, the virus that causes AIDS.

What Are the Short-Term Effects of Marijuana Use?

The short-term effects of marijuana include:

•problems with memory and learning

•distorted perception

•difficulty thinking and solving problems

•impaired coordination

•increased heart rate

THC Impacts Brain Functioning

THC is up to no good in the brain. THC finds brain cells, or neurons, with specific kinds of receptors called cannabinoid receptors, to which it binds. [3]

Certain parts of the brain have high concentrations of cannabinoid receptors. These areas are the hippocampus, the cerebellum, the basal ganglia, and the cerebral cortex. [3] The functions that these brain areas control are the ones most affected by marijuana.

For example, THC interferes with learning and memory—that is because the hippocampus—a part of the brain with a funny name and a big job—plays a critical role in certain types of learning. Disrupting its normal functioning can lead to problems studying, learning new things, and recalling recent events. The difficulty can be a lot more serious than forgetting if you took out the trash this morning, which happens to everyone once in a while.

Do these effects persist? We don’t know for sure in humans, but studies in rats show that exposure to THC for a long period of time can damage neurons in the hippocampus. So, is it really worth the risk? [3]

Smoking Marijuana Can Make Driving Dangerous

The cerebellum is the section of our brain that does most of the work on balance and coordination. When THC affects the cerebellum’s function, it makes scoring a goal in soccer or hitting a home run pretty tough. THC also affects the basal ganglia, another part of the brain that’s involved in movement

Source(s): my mums a nurse

Idk about dying from overdose, probably a small amount. As far as overall, I'd say the majority have tried something. I myself am turning 17 soon and have had drug and alcohol issues. I was one of those kids at 12- 14 who said that i never did drugs nor ever will, it's truly amazing what a year or two can do. Teenage years are ruff, so naturally alot of kids are looking for an escape. For many, it doesn;t go much above experimentation and occasional usage, but many have larger problems, like myself.

More than people think.

In America (assuming that's where you're from...) statistics say that 60% or more teenagers have tried Marijuana and alcohol. 25% drink or smoke (pot) on a regular basis.

And around 8% of teenagers (13-18) do illicit drugs regularly (cocaine, meth, heroin etc)

:)

i dont know how many exactly, like an official number, but if i had to guess, id say about 40% do them often and about 60% have atleast tried marijuana or had alcohol

i always hear about kids doing drugs. especially at my school. a lot of the kids are really wealthy so its easier for them to buy drugs.

even wehn i was walking off campus to go to lunch a few days ago, these boys i was with were smoking a joint.

and last year a boy took oxycontin in class...

annnnd once a kid i knew brought vodka to schoo... so stupid, like, what are you going to do, get drunk at 1 in the afternoon? god.

im in tenth grade and i have to say, in my school,

its all about weed:

about 80% have tried it at least once

and maybe 60% use it regularly

also about 15% sell it

and they also drink alcohol, smoke cigarettes & cigars.

although i have never smoked

its really pressuring when everyone your around

is doing it and has done it, they talk about it

and are always like" wow, you've never smoked!"

i try not to but im pretty sure i will end up

by the end of twelfth.

Where I live, there are around 4-5 million people. I took a National Guard course once, I don't really remember (3 years ago!) but it varries b/w drugs.

for example: 1 or 2 in 100 (or 1000, I dunno!) do ecstasy.

Source(s): As for the one who said 75%, I don't intend offense, but I really don't think that many do. My N G teacher said, ''Reality: not a lot. Perception: What everyone thinks, what your hear, what your parents tell you, but are these sources correct?''

I'm 14 (almost 15) and I've never done (nor will I ever do) drugs.

Most bodybuilders and American Football teams would be a great start.

hmm at least like most of the people at my school atleast tried it. and maybe half actually do it, i know i've tried once and i've tried quite of few things

• NǝoN

the stats are 75% of teens have at least tried marijuana

edit: whoops read the stats wrong. its 60% have tried it once