i have a problem in my wireless network speed with my computer can any one help?

i have 2 computers when i connect the two of the to the wireless network the one shows the speed perfectly (54 Mbps) the other the speed is changing (1-2-4-8-16-22 Mbps) and the internet goes slow what should i do? i have linksys compact wireless-g usb network adapter

my windows is XP Professional (SP3) my computer is hp pavilion zt1000 series it's an old laptop

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Wireless networking is great when it works, but can be a pain in the *** when it doesn't. Since your Internet is just slowing down and the speeds are jumping, it sounds like an issue with the strength of the wireless signal which is just a radio signal not unlike a CB radio or Radio Station (only MUCH weaker. More like an automotive FM Transmitter)

Think of the wireless adapter and your router (or access point) like 2 walkie-talkies. They need to be with in range to be able to talk to each other. The more clear the signal between them, the faster the connection. Generally speaking, the closer they are to each other or the better quality the antenna, the clearer they can communicate.

Also consider that they operate on the same frequencies as other household items. Some common causes of interference include electrical wiring, cordless phones (This is a big one!), microwaves, and any other electronic devices. If any of these items are too close to the Wireless Router or Network adapter, or between the two, they may interfere with them.

If you have a large house, experiment with the placement of the Router/Access point. Placing it on the second floor and in the center of the room will provide better coverage in your home than in a corner in the basement. Walls, Floors, etc all impact the performance of the wireless card.

Here's something you could try: The computer with the weak signal, try moving it closer to the router, or even in the same room as the router. You should have a perfect signal at that point. if so, you know the equipment is working properly. Then start moving the computer away and see how it's location affects the signal. You can also try moving around the USB adapter (assuming it's on a cord/wire). It might work better on a shelf away from the computer and other electronics.

or if you can't move the computer(s), see if you can move the access/point or router. if it's connected to a cable modem, use a longer Ethernet/Cat-5 cable and move it around, or even into a different room.

You can also go into the settings on your router and try changing wireless channels. Try 1, 6 and 11 and see which one gives you better performance.

If you can't get them any closer/with in range, sometimes better antennas or boosters are available. For that, I would go down to your local electronics store with the make/model of your router and wireless cards and see if there's any boosters or high gain antennas available.

Here's a software programs you might want to check out. If you live in an area with a lot of wireless networks, it will show you graphically if they are interfering with each other (i.e. on the same channels). It's called InSSIDer http://www.inssider.com/products

If you use their scanners it will even show you interference from other devices such as phones, microwaves, etc... I don't really recommend spending money on these unless you want some serious troubleshooting tools, but the free InSSIDer software is quite helpful to see your wireless network vs other local and potentially conflicting networks.

I hope that this helps somewhat. Feel free to contact me if you have any more specific questions.

• 4 years ago

Because there are extra then one laptop utilising your community, The velocity have got to be divided into the ones desktops as good, Which is why your connection is so sluggish. The router has to glue into three exclusive community, alternatively of only one. Try connecting to the router at exclusive instances, alternatively of even as. Hope this helped. =-]

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.