Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelAfrica & Middle EastLebanon · 1 decade ago

Lebanese living outside lebanon?

Do you think the 15 million + lebanese living outside lebanon contribute in it's economy?

and how would lebanon look like if suddenly all those came back to tiny lebanon? loads of traffic i guess, we will be egypt part 2!!

and what are some reason that pushed 3/4 lebanese to live outside lebanon?

Favorite Answer

There are lots of villages which are almost empty ... awaiting the return of the people ... not all of them will be in Beirut necessarily ... there was a report on LBC the other day about Maarjeyon .. it's almost empty except for the elderly (el khateyra) .. and many others are similar ...

Of course Lebanon can't handle 15 million extra at once ... but then again a lot of them think of Lebanon as a distant thing from their grandparents past ... and they would visit it briefly even if they don't know it at all (like many did when Hariri paid them to come vote in the last elections .. from the plane to the voting booth and back to the plane again)

I am one of those people that r not living in Lebanon. Well my mom is Lebanese I think u all know that by now. Her mother got killed by the Syrians in 1979. And after her mother got killed she said that she is not going to live in Lebanon again! And up till now that happened. We only went there 2 times so far that were only visits. And that's the reason y we went to Egypt in 2002. My parents got divorced in 2002, and after they got divorced by mother said the she wants to live in a country close to Lebanon but not Lebanon and I said y above. So Egypt is next to Lebanon and we went there but my father didn't he stayed in America. But last year we came back to America.

Many Lebanese people from outside the country financially support family back home , particularly the elderly....

The infrastructure in Lebanon can't support the people living there now so let's hope that there is no mass return ...people left for many reasons but I guess the major ones in recent times were to escape war or to find work .

I first went to Lebanon in '06 & most of the younger men in my family have left since then.....separated from their families but at least able to support them financially by working in nearby countries...

Lets just hope & pray that peace & stability return to Lebanon...most who left have no wish to live anywhere else & would return in an instant if there is stability & employment !

Source(s): J...

i've got been questioning approximately shifting returned for a jointly as these days. I nonetheless will circulate to sydney and proceed my learn at an Aussie uni, yet afterwards i think of it may be fresh to go returned for some years or greater (to do the basics like get married, start up a kinfolk etc).... yet then after circulate returned to AU. jointly as i admire lebanon, i could never stay something of my existence there by way of fact i admire AU way too plenty

1. Yes of course, most people who come from poor countries go to developed countries and finance their families.

2. I dont think it can handle 15 million + 4 million, it's too small for all these millions.

3. Because it's full of wars, people are racist towards other sects, not well developed and has high unemployment rates.