Climate change/global warming-real? scaremongering? or somewhere in between?

OK, I am sure that everyone on yahoo answers has at least heard of what is often termed as 'climate change' or 'global warming'. I, personally have friends who are very much 'in' to it, as it were, involved in youth groups, campaigning, activism, etc, and I have been to a couple of marches.... show more OK, I am sure that everyone on yahoo answers has at least heard of what is often termed as 'climate change' or 'global warming'. I, personally have friends who are very much 'in' to it, as it were, involved in youth groups, campaigning, activism, etc, and I have been to a couple of marches. I live in London, where at the moment there is something called 'climate camp' occurring, (look it up on google). However, despite all this, I am still sceptical, firstly, because of my personality trait of dissent, and attitude of questioning things, secondly, because it feels like it's almost illegal to say you are a sceptic, and I, to be honest, don't like it. Also, there have been books written in support of the sceptic argument, which, although I haven't read any, are something to think about.
So, could, you please tell me, do you think that global warming is a real life catastrophe waiting to happen?
or do you think it is simply propaganda/scare mongering?, (if so, maybe name some qualified scientists who believe this)
or, is it somewhere in-between
please use facts and figures to support your point.