Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 1 decade ago

9mm and .45 ACP/5.56 and 7.62X39?

Is the 9mm louder than the .45 or is the .45 louder than the 9mm?

Is the 5.56 NATO louder than the 7.62X39 soviet?

How much louder is the 7.62X51 NATO over the 5.56 NATO if all all?

Is the MK-19 40mm any loud all all or not?

I only fired a 9mm, .357 and .40 S&W but never shoot a .45 before.

• Rob G
    Best Answer

The bigger the round the larger the noise. Until you get to the Mk-19 which along with mortars has more of a "THHHWWUMP" noise which is more quiet than the above mentioned rounds.

Source(s): 24 years active duty Marine

Going out or coming in? I'll assume out: in is about the same, just a different pitch of the snap.

.45 has more boom and volume, but 9mm hurts my ears more: higher frequency maybe?

My M4 is louder than an AK or an SKS, but again, it's a different pitch. Never fired the 7.62x51 when it wasn't from a machine gun...and that, never without hearing protection...well, once, but I don't remember the sound.

MK-19 is relatively quiet: just expelling charges going out and the mount shaking around.

Except for the MK-19 (if that is a grenade launcher?), they can all damage your hearing. I don't know exact db's but except for "sharpness" (frequency profile) Both pistols and both rifles are similar in general noise level, I think.

.45 is WAYYY louder than the 9mm.

I have fired both.